Waiting on results but I know I have it

doris day

Doris, what you describe could be a lot of things. It could be initial acute HIV infection, although the incubation period you describe sounds short. It could also be just about any of a few thousand garden-variety cold or flu viruses.

As the other guys pointed out, it takes a few months for HIV antibodies to build up to the point where the standard tests will detect them.

It is far more likely you picked up something on the airplane.

ALSO: Something you may not know. Well-lubricated unprotected (i.e., bareback) heterosexual vaginal intercourse is *NOT* high-risk behavior for transmitting HIV, in either direction, according to a press release from the Center for Disease Control several years ago. (They have since been compelled by the forces of political correctness to back away from it, and simply say that "sexual contact" can pass the virus.) The press release made it VERY clear they didn't want to say it, but the data left them no honest choice at all. (There were just too many sexually-active heterosexual couples where one partner was HIV+, and had been for quite a while before getting the news, and the other wasn't.) They went on to remind everyone that barebacking balling was SKY-HIGH risk for transmitting every other STD known to man, *JUST* not HIV.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might seem blase, but HIV is fairly low down the list of things I worry about when I go to Asia. My mate told me about a tropical delight (I think it might be dysentery) where you completely lose the ability to control your bowels. You could be sitting on a bus, 8 hours from anywhere, with shit running down your legs and absolutely nothing you can do about it. Of course, contracting HiV could leave your system open to that very disease and others, but its all 'find me a cliff and help me over the edge' stuff IMO ....

There is always a disclaimer...it's the USA, land of lawyers and law suits! remember?

If you are really interested, google the youtube videos for "silver sol".

Doesn't it make you suspicious that they do not give a full citation? They just give the title and not even the full name of the author(s)! :hmmm:

FYI, youtube videos do not represent peer reviewed articles. :neener:

Please explain in detail how you saw bacteria, viruses, or parasites being killed. :dunno:

I don’t have the link handy, but don’t different types of HIV have different transmission tendencies? The strain most prevalent in Thailand, particularly Bangkok, (Type E?) is one that is most commonly transmitted by heterosexual contact whereas the type most prevalent in the US is transmitted by blood to blood contact through needles and homosexual sex?

TH

^ Yep that's it. Type 'E' is prevalent around these parts. Type 'B' is more common in the west.

I read up on seroconversion and this can occur in as little as one week, up to 3 months, so it is possible for DD to show these symptoms this fast.

Fingers crossed for you DD. Please let us know you are okay.

Archived