Facebook to share phone numbers and addresses...

chuckwoww

"It's been a while since we've had an uproar over Facebook's handling of its users personal information, so we suppose the time is ripe.

So cue the online outrage: Facebook announced today in a letter to Congress that the social-media platform is moving forward with plans to give third parties access to user information, such as phone numbers and home addresses.

In a letter to Reps. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe Barton (R-Tex.), who both expressed concerns over Facebook's plan to make such data available, company officials reiterated their now-familiar pledge to leave it up to users to decide whether they want their personal contact information to go out to app developers and outside websites. Markey has previously said that "Facebook needs to protect the personal information of its users to ensure that Facebook doesn't become Phonebook."

The company, meanwhile, sounds as though it has no plans to trim back its information-sharing ambitions."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110301/ts_yblog_thelookout/facebook-will-soon-share-users-phone-numbers-and-addresses-with-3rd-parties

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

dont add your phone number and address setting up your account. so easy. retards continue adding them/moaning about privacy.

Phil is right. Read the last paragraph of the item.....

...as Facebook VP Elliot Schrage bluntly (if less colorfully) put things in the midst of a similar uproar last year: If you don't want Facebook to share your personal information, don't share your personal information with Facebook.

Personally I have never understtod the fascination of Social Networking Sites such as Facebook and the likes of Myspace, Bebo, Geosites etc in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I am no ludditte, I was using ICQ and mIRC in the early 80's during my Uni days to communicate with fellow students at other establishments and currently I do subscribe to "Linkedin" which is more of a real time resume update as compared to the banal crap posted on Facebook and the likes.

Am I old, or am I just wised up?

Kong

Archived