Facebook to share phone numbers and addresses...

chuckwoww

Personally I have never understtod the fascination of Social Networking Sites such as Facebook and the likes of Myspace, Bebo, Geosites etc in the past.

Don't get me wrong, I am no ludditte, I was using ICQ and mIRC in the early 80's during my Uni days to communicate with fellow students at other establishments and currently I do subscribe to "Linkedin" which is more of a real time resume update as compared to the banal crap posted on Facebook and the likes.

Am I old, or am I just wised up?

Kong

Early '80-s ?????

ermmmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICQ

mIRC is an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client for Microsoft Windows, created in 1995 and developed by Khaled Mardam-Bey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIRC

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"If you don't want Facebook to share your personal information, don't share your personal information with Facebook."

Unfortunately it isn't always that clear cut. If you want to develop applications on Facebook you need to apply for additional privileges and the only way to receive those is to supply a mobile number they can SMS a code to.

Of course, you can - and I did - change your phone number afterwards, but still.

Sanuk!

Sorry Waerth

Please reply when you know what you are taking about.

You are quoting dates about ICQ and mIRC available via HTTP, what part of "During My Uni Days" too difficult for you to get your mind around?

JANET was up and running in the mid 70's, Oh so Sorry I was studying Computer Science at UMIST in the UK early 80's where the Joint Academic Network was available, it only went JIPS in 1991 (Internet Protorcal sercive)

[Removed - KS]

A Piece of advice if you don't know a topic keep it shut, a persons ignorance is often learned more by what they do say rather that what they don't.

PWN'd

PS

I find it Interesting that a person who scrapes together a living as an agent for commercials and bit parts in movies [Removed - KS] knows more than someone with a first class honours in Computer Science and a Phd in AI and Computerised Automation.

I must have been doing it wrong all my life

Nevertheless millions of people are using it. It has become a huge social phenomenon. I think you are much too wise to get caught up in it Mekong.

PM it to me Corinthian and I'll believe you.

Facebook has around 500 mio members. The only industrialized country it didn't take off is Japan. Japan has its own networks which are closed to people outside Japan (you'll need a local mobile phone number to join). Interestingly in Japan people all people use a pseudonym and usually don't give away neither name nor address.

Many people - including me - can't afford not to be a member of Facebook, be it for business or for private reasons. Nevertheless I decided not to publish *any* personal information, except topics which are related to my profession (i. e. I use it for self-marketing). At Facebook I never talk about my relationships, political or religious views, my interest in LOS, e.g., and I intend to keep it like that.

Hi,

"You are quoting dates about ICQ and mIRC available via HTTP"

Sorry, Mekong, but Waerth is definitely right when it comes to ICQ. In the early 80s the guys who wrote ICQ would have been about 5-6 years old.

I have no doubt you were using the Internet in the early 80s, but you certainly were not using ICQ.

Sanuk!

PS And try to leave the personal crap out when you post, okay?

Archived