Suthep - I don't respect 'farangs'. We do not have to surren

ozpharlap

But those pesky Farang who speak the language and ask questions or even have a opinions about LOS which are not sponsored by the TAT, they are not welcomed at all.

Only by those Thais who have something to hide or have a scam going IMHO. Very rare to I find a Thai not very nice and not happy to talk, even about finance & politics (OK, not any stranger on the street, but folk to whom I am introduced or taxi drivers who usually can't shut up LOL). They are thrilled that I can talk to them and have a knowledge and an interest in the workings of their country.

YMMV (obviously in your case anyway).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But those pesky Farang who speak the language and ask questions or even have a opinions about LOS which are not sponsored by the TAT' date=' they are not welcomed at all.[/quote']

Only by those Thais who have something to hide or have a scam going IMHO. Very rare to I find a Thai not very nice and not happy to talk, even about finance & politics (OK, not any stranger on the street, but folk to whom I am introduced or taxi drivers who usually can't shut up LOL). They are thrilled that I can talk to them and have a knowledge and an interest in the workings of their country.

YMMV (obviously in your case anyway).

If Farang would be more welcomed, obviously the laws would be much more in favor of them, don't you think?

What "the man on the street" thinks and "those who are trying to hoard the entire rice bowl for themselves" think are certainly two different things, don't you think?

Suthep is most certainly an asshole. Every country has them. But usually very few, and all have an ulterior motive...which returns to my first sentence in the previous post, na?

What "the man on the street" thinks and "those who are trying to hoard the entire rice bowl for themselves" think are certainly two different things, don't you think?

Suthep is most certainly an asshole. Every country has them. But usually very few, and all have an ulterior motive...which returns to my first sentence in the previous post, na?

That's definitely a huge difference. But we are talking here about officials...

Actually they like tourists, especially because they just pay and leave.

But those pesky Farang who speak the language and ask questions or even have a opinions about LOS which are not sponsored by the TAT, they are not welcomed at all.

Bingo.

No question that many Thais want fly-in/fly-out, free-spending tourists with plenty of disposable cash. To be fair, thats pretty much what most Australian retailers want - unless the new arrival is an MD (from a narrow range of countries) or has trade papers (the Irish are welcome once again, two centuries after they were dragged here in chains).

As for Suthep, isnt Thai politics full of people who like to roll out the spectre of the 'interfering Farang' when it suits them ? It doesnt seem that long ago that 'imperialist' was bandied around throughout SE Asia to denigrate anyone who wanted to interfere with the affairs of a sovereign state.

Actually they like tourists' date=' especially because they just pay and leave.

[/quote']

Bingo.

No question that many Thais want fly-in/fly-out, free-spending tourists with plenty of disposable cash. To be fair, thats pretty much what most Australian retailers want - unless the new arrival is an MD (from a narrow range of countries) or has trade papers (the Irish are welcome once again, two centuries after they were dragged here in chains).

As for Suthep, isnt Thai politics full of people who like to roll out the spectre of the 'interfering Farang' when it suits them ? It doesnt seem that long ago that 'imperialist' was bandied around throughout SE Asia to denigrate anyone who wanted to interfere with the affairs of a sovereign state.

I think how a country like Farangs can be easily identified through published opinions by governmental officials and even more how friendly the laws are in regard to immigration rules, foreign owned businesses, e.g.

This all together paints a very bleak picture of LOS.

And hasn't it got worse in the past years?

I think how a country like Farangs can be easily identified through published opinions by governmental officials and even more how friendly the laws are in regard to immigration rules, foreign owned businesses, e.g.

This all together paints a very bleak picture of LOS.

And hasn't it got worse in the past years?

I know Ajarn isnt a very popular board with many of the expats here, but they paint an even bleaker picture for Farang than T360 does.

...but the farangs keep coming here. Planes are usually packed everyday. The "worse" it gets here, the more people come here.

For the 2 ~ 4 week tourist, they have no idea what is going on, IMO. They stay at there hotel, see the sights, buy this that and the other thing and are on the plane back to farang-land. No fuss, no mess.

Archived