Classic Commodore 64 lives again

Flashermac

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got Oolite, but it's unplayable for me. The responses to the keyboard or joystick controls simply take too long. It's sort of like steering a harvest combine around - a very sluggish response.

I have Elite the New Kind, which worked on my old PC but not on the one I have now. :dunno:

One game I loved about 9 or 10 years ago was HardWar, best described as sort of Elite on a planet. (You're on one of the moons of Jupiter trying to get off.)

I'm not into the Doom or empire building sort of games. They all seem to be clones of each other.

My old favourite time waster! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_(video_game)

<< The game was written in machine code, allowing much tighter control of memory usage than using a compiler, as their computer had only about 14 kilobytes of memory. >> :surprised:

I worked for ICL once and remember having a debate with my supervisor over main memory requirements in the future. I claimed we would have megs of main memory. I guess I was wrong. Now we have gigs.

We were programming in assembly language using ICL mini computers (not micro computers).

His computer had 2 kilo (2048) bytes of main memory. He claimed he could do all he wanted to do with just 2 kilobytes. My computer had 8k (8196 bytes). Hard to believe memory requirements have changed so fast.

One of the original imaging systems for the first Ronnie Ray Gun Star Wars programme ran on 64k of memory if my memory is right. After my old boss left the programme he got called up "Hey, we're upgrading, can it still work, will it work better?

YES

As years goes by - same phone calls same answer - another upgrade - to finally 1mg of memory, each time performance improved.

"Why did you make the programme work that way? It gets better each time, but worked well at the beginning.

My boss answer was "Because I know memory is going to keep getting better - so I designed the software to get better when memory becomes available, but be fully functional to your specs with what you have now, and at the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived