Osama Bin Laden is dead!!!

acockasian

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty amazing the guy was able to stay on the lam as long as he did.

More facts may come out later.

I think they have known where he was for awhile if not longer.

The facts of the house or building are in some news reports. A large compound with thick walls. Constructed in 2005. No internet. No phones. No taking out of garbage/trash as apparently is done with other homes in area. Trash was always burned.

How many homes in Pakistan are like this?

<< WILL AL QAEDA NOW CRUMBLE OR GET STRONGER?

Security experts fear that Osama Bin Laden's death will only strengthen the resolve of Islamic extremists to bring terror to the Western world.

Al Qaeda will immediately assert that it is still relevant, but ultimately the death of its leader and the U.S. taking custody of his body is a significant moral blow.

The terrorist organisation's No. 2, Egyptian-born doctor Ayman al-Zawahiri, is widely tipped to take command. >>

Link

India says Pakistan 'a terror sanctuary'

The killing of Osama bin Laden near Islamabad is proof that "terrorists belonging to different organisations find sanctuary in Pakistan", Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram says.

President Obama's statement that the Al-Qaeda leader was killed in Abbotabad "deep inside Pakistan" was a matter of "grave concern", he said.

The minister urged Pakistan to arrest those behind the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

India has blamed the attacks on Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba group.

After initially denying the charge, Pakistan later admitted that some of the attacks were planned on its territory.

Ten gunmen attacked multiple targets in Mumbai, killing more than 165 people.

The sole surviving gunman, Pakistani national Mohammad Ajmal Amir Qasab, was captured and tried in an Indian court.

He was convicted and given death penalty last year.

Lashkar-e-Taiba is outlawed in Pakistan, but India maintains that Pakistan's security forces retain ties to the militants.

Guess who's got the Bomb, folks.

I 'm sure some individuals have done well out of the war but it's also about pork barrel politics. Defence spending is very important to the US economy.

Anyway I agree about rage being a big factor. America wanted revenge for 911. Question now is will they be satisfied with killing OBL. Is this a chance to withdraw from Afghanistan? I don't think the Taliban will quit anytime soon.

FLAMES, GUNSHOTS, A BLAST

Abbottabad is a popular summer resort, located in a valley surrounded by green hills near Pakistani Kashmir. Islamist militants, particularly those fighting in Indian-controlled Kashmir, used to have training camps near the town.

A Reuters reporter in the town on Monday said bin Laden's single-storey residence stood fourth in a row of about a dozen houses, a satellite perched on the roof above a walled compound. A helicopter covered by a sheet sat in a nearby field.

Mohammad Idrees, who lives around 400 meters from the house, said local residents were woken in the night by the sound of a big explosion.

"We rushed to the rooftop and saw flames near that house. We also heard some gunshots," Idrees said. "Soon after the blast, we saw military vehicles rushing to the site of the blast."

Another resident, Nasir Khan, said that commandos had encircled the compound as three helicopters hovered overhead.

"All of a sudden there was firing toward the helicopters from the ground," said Khan, who had watched the drama unfold from his rooftop. "There was intense firing and then I saw one of the helicopters crash."

Amir Haider Khan Hoti, chief minister of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, the province where Abbottabad is located, told reporters in Karachi that Pakistan had been kept in the dark on the raid.

"We were not in the loop," he said. "(We) were not informed, there was an explosion around 1:15 a.m., and when following the explosion, police reached there, the area was already cordoned off."

Local media reported a helicopter crashed in Abbottabad on Sunday night, killing one and wounding two. Initial reports were that it was a Pakistani helicopter, but Pakistan has limited night-flying capabilities for its choppers and other reports and witnesses said it was a U.S. helicopter that had suffered mechanical failure and was ditched.

Witnesses reported gunshots and heavy firing before one of two low-flying helicopters crashed near the academy.

Around Pakistan, reaction was mixed. Muhammad Ibrahim, who is in his early 60s, said in Peshawar the killing of bin Laden would have no affect on most people's lives.

"If Osama is dead or alive it will not make any change in our life. This dirty game will continue," he said.

Muhammad Tahir Khan, working as a telephone operator in a private organization, said that killing bin Laden was good news.

"He Osama is responsible for violence in Pakistan and Afghanistan," he said.

Sohaib Athar, whose profile says he is an IT consultant taking a break from the ratrace by hiding in the mountains, sent out a stream of live updates on Twitter about the movement of helicopters and blasts without realizing it was a raid on the world's most hunted man.

Some of his early tweets were: "Helicopter hovering above Abbottabad at 1 a.m. (rare event); Go away helicopter - before I take out my giant swatter."

Then he reported his window rattling and a bang. "I hope it's not the start of something nasty," he tweeted.

Soon after there were blasts. There were two helicopters, one of them had gone down, Athar wrote.

[color:red]When he learnt it was bin Laden killed in Abbottabad, he tweeted: "ISI has confirmed it. Uh oh, there goes the neighborhood."[/color] :surprised:

Link

I 'm sure some individuals have done well out of the war but it's also about pork barrel politics. Defence spending is very important to the US economy.

Anyway I agree about rage being a big factor. America wanted revenge for 911. Question now is will they be satisfied with killing OBL. Is this a chance to withdraw from Afghanistan? I don't think the Taliban will quit anytime soon.

Obama could always do a Nixon. Hold peace talks, sign a treaty, go home ... and then look the other way when the Taliban finally seize power. :dunno:

I saw on the tv that some of the things that tipped 'em off about Osama's residence in Pakistan were, no telephone connection, no internet connection, no rubbish collection....

Reminds me of a story about two village idiots in Scunthorpe.

In those days human waste was removed by a "night cart", daily.

The owner of a house decided to put in a septic tank. The two village idiots, even though they'd had the process explained to them, used to lean on the fence, straw in mouth, for months afterwards, wondering where all the shit went...

Pakistan wasn't consulted till after the fact. I've read that relations with Pakistan could become a bit icier as suspicions mount why the Pakistanis didn't know about the place. Basically, its pretty difficult to build a compound of that size and worth without the Pakistani police or secret service not knowing who or what was behind its building. Or curious enough to investigate.

Read also it was a Navy Seal 'kill' team. Action movie kinda stuff it sounds like.

PS: I'm not upset the news overshadowed Arsenal beating Manchester United 1-0 on Sunday.

Pakistan Taliban threaten attacks after bin Laden's killing

DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan (Reuters) – The Pakistani Taliban threatened attacks against government leaders, including President Asif Ali Zardari, the Pakistan army and the United States on Monday, after the killing of Osama bin Laden in the country.

[color:red]"Now Pakistani rulers, President Zardari and the army will be our first targets. America will be our second target,"[/color] Ehsanullah Ehsan, a spokesman for Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), or Taliban Movement of Pakistan, told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location.

Link

Also ...

<< Members of an elite Navy Seals team dropped by helicopter to the compound were under orders to kill not capture bin Laden, who had eluded U.S. forces for 13 years, a senior U.S. security official told Reuters.

"This was a kill operation," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. >>

13 years?

Archived