When Somchai Pulls the Trigger

Wallenda

Hi,

"but I'm sure Farang arent the only people who suffer at the hands of Thai employers"

They are not. My wife is changing jobs at the moment and her current boss refuses to sign her resignation letter and more importantly return the ~4K Baht in her ??? fund.

My wife is just shrugging it off, but I am pissed off about it. Not even so much about the money (although it is a decent amount for her), but more the principal.

Sanuk!

I had a job I liked very much as a civilian instructor for the US Army. Slick Willy wiped it out in his major cut back on the armed forces (to below what was recommended as the minimum). I got "unemployment insurance" for six months - at $650 a month. That was about what I'd been taking home every week after deductions. Even so it was more than I'd get taking a job at minimum wage just to have something to do. I loafed for more than the minimum wage, though as Wendie says part of it was in fact my own money I was getting.

My wife is just shrugging it off, but I am pissed off about it. Not even so much about the money (although it is a decent amount for her), but more the principal.

Sanuk!

It would seem that your wife has illustrated my point perfectly - it seems to come under the heading of 'not much I can do about it, so just accept it'. I'm probably generalising, but thats the impression I get from the Thais I have encountered. The hippie in me says its their belief in karma, but it took an awful long time for karma to catch up to Thaksin ...

Archived