Good seafood

korsow

Hi, does anyone know of a good place to eat seafood that's not too expensive? I've already tried the open kitchen one near panthip plaza and I wasn't too impressed. I'm especially looking for crab and shrimp. Also, when I was in Kuala Lumpur they had this crab made in chili and curry or something (I don't know what's in it) and it was awesome. Anyone know where to get that and what's the name of the dish?

Thanks,

Korsow

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the large-ish places along the river are good, especially the ones that do a boat trip up and down the river, although they usually also have onshore dining areas for those who don't want to take the boat. One chain is called, I think, Yok Yor (or Yok Yaw, which is how it's pronounced), with a couple or three on the Thonburi side. The boat fare itself is just about 80 baht, and you pay separately for the food, which is not expensive.

Another place (and this might be another Yok Yor, not sure) is by the Krung Thon Bridge on the Thonburi side. The Krung Thon Bridge is the bridge that crosses the river from Rajvithi Road, the east-west road from Victory Monument. The same setup: Boat or onshore.

Dear Korsow,

Honestly, Siam Sam is probably more familiar with seafood restaurants in BKK than am I. But, I generally avoid boat restaurants. I do like places along the river, though. My favorite is Ban Klang Nam---which is a short cab ride from the Saphan Thaksin station. (ph# 292-0175 or 292-2037). It is expensive, but you get large portions.

The Fisherman's restaurant in the basement of Gaysorn's Plaza (across from World Trade Center, not far from Panthip) is kind of a ripoff, but clean and refined.

Unfortunately, you'll never find good, Malasian-style chilli or black pepper crab in BKK. Damn!!!!!! I love that shit smile.gif

My best seafood experiences in LOS always have been in the coastal towns both North and South of Pattaya.

Good Luck. And, always insist on the ones that are, at the moment!, swimming smile.gif

"The Fisherman's restaurant in the basement of Gaysorn's Plaza (across from World Trade Center, not far from Panthip) is kind of a ripoff, but clean and refined."

Gaysorn Plaza has been shut down since last year. They're renovating, but there's no word on when they'll reopen yet. They were supposed to reopen last September, but that keeps getting pushed back.

Actually, I'm not all that familiar with seafood restaurants here, but those are the places I've been to. You can definitely find some good deals in the large places along the river, but does anyone out there know of some of those in particular to stay away from?

I'm not sure quite what it was about the place, maybe because someone else always seems to have paid when I've been there, but I can remember thinking more than once that the best seafood I have eaten here has been at Silom Village, on Suk Soi 23. Lovely place, semi-open air, go past Cowboy down the Soi to the right turn that much of the traffic follow (winding down to meet Sois 31 and 39). A left and another right and you will not be able to miss it. So many good seafood places around though and I am sure most of them will do a curried crab but I don't know how it would rank with the Malaysian version.

LG

Hmmm....

There's also a large seafood restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 24.

I've never eaten there -- but I've often noticed that they have a lot of customers.

A few bargirls I've talked to wants to eat right there but I've declined everytime. I do think it looks a wee bit upscale (only judging from the sheer size of the place and the cars parked outside).

Their slogan on big neon sign: "If it swims, eat it" or something like that....not too bad for a slogan smile.gif -- But is it a good place? Anyone been there? Reflections, comments?

Straycat

Just a quick note. I've had absolutely delicious crab in chilli paste several times at Tawandang German Brewery in Bangkok (it's located along Narathivaratratchanakarin Rd / Rama III). 500 baht for the crab. However, well worth a visit, IMO.

Straycat

There is/was a place in the basement of Ploenchit center (on Sukhumvit right at Soi 2) called Varsallies or something. They have a luch buffet for 90 bht of so, and a Seafood dinner buffet, all you can eat for 300bht or so. No Lobster as I recall, but they did have crab. It was fresh, clean and I think a decent quality for the money. Basically, you pick out what you want and how much, and they will ask how you want it cooked, so I suppose you could ask about the chillie and black beans...

[color:red]I'm not sure quite what it was about the place, maybe because someone else always seems to have paid when I've been there, but I can remember thinking more than once that the best seafood I have eaten here has been at Silom Village, on Suk Soi 23. Lovely place, semi-open air, go past Cowboy down the Soi to the right turn that much of the traffic follow (winding down to meet Sois 31 and 39). A left and another right and you will not be able to miss it. So many good seafood places around though and I am sure most of them will do a curried crab but I don't know how it would rank with the Malaysian version. color=red>

LG, aren't you a bit confused with the name of the place here?

Silom Village is a decent toursist place (dinner, shows, shops), on Silom Road not far from the Narai Hotel. I think I know the place you are talking about, but I am not sure about the name.

Of course, there are many great places in Bangkok for seafood. The most famous is the Seafood Market on Sukhumvit Soi 24. This massive tourist place is great fun and I will likely be heading out there Saturday with a group.

However, depending on what you order (you traipse around with a shopping basket choosing your vittles) it could be pricey - especially if you prefer lots of crab and shrimp as mentioned. Also, the wine is pricey.

Patpong Seafood on Surawongse isn't bad and many of the hotels have decent seafood dishes on the menus, but price is a consideration. I guess it is best to head down to Hua Hin or Pattaya if you really are interested in inexpensive seafood.

OOPS, sorry LongGun, I just checked and I guess there are really two Silom Villages. shocked.gif

Archived