Arrest Following New Zealanders Death In Thailand

Coss

link

A 24-year-old Syrian man is being held by police in Thailand following the stabbing of New Zealand tourist.

Charles Jones was slain in his apartment on Monday night in a brutal knife attack in the Thai resort area of Pattaya.

"We believe it was a fight between Mr Jones and someone he invited up to his room," Police Lt Col Ratha Prathumkaew said.

Jones, who was President of the World Croquet Federation, was holidaying on his way back from the World Golf Croquet Championships in London.

His friend Stuart Yeatman had dropped him off at his apartment to meet a young male friend on Monday night.

When Jones did not return Yeatman's calls, he went back the next morning and found him dead.

Yeatman told ONE News Jones was too quick to place his trust in a stranger and that has proved fatal.

"I think Charles was very much a victim of his nature," he said.

Yeatman was asked to identify items belonging to Jones which were found in the possession of the Syrian man.

"Everything in this guy's possession had belonged to Charles," he said.

"Charles had a fairly distinctive gold watch... we didn't realise that had been stolen up until that point."

He said he was pleased with how quickly the police had responded to the death, making an arrest after just four days.

"From the top down they have been working their arses off on this and they're also very aware of the criticisms that have been levelled against them," he said.

He said he hoped the swift action would allay any concern for tourists travelling to the resort.

Camp as a row of Syrian Military Personnel ?

link

Commando charged with fatal stabbing

A former Syrian commando has been arrested over the stabbing death of the chairman of the International Croquet Federation from New Zealand.

Charles Edmund Jones, 56, was found in his room in the Chom Thian Complex condominium in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district on Monday. Jones, who had several knife wounds, was in Pattaya on holiday.

Yesterday, the Provincial Police Region 2 announced the arrest of Muhamad Shanar Ryad, 21, a Syrian national who allegedly killed Jones with his foldable knife.

Mr Ryad was arrested with Jones' notebook computer, mobile phone and wristwatch, police said. Officers said the Syrian confessed that he had killed Jones after the New Zealander threatened him with another knife to try to force him to have anal intercourse.

After stabbing Jones and slitting his throat, Mr Ryad took the victim's valuables and went into hiding at his Thai "girlfriend's" apartment in central Pattaya.

Police added Mr Ryad entered Thailand as a United Nations refugee.

Earlier, he had worked as a military commando in Syria.

I have to say, the speed and pin point nature of this arrest has me scratching my head......

Sad, but high risk behaviour IMHO

If I was approached by this :

5518288.jpg

I think I'd run screaming to the hills.

Mind you the victim could have been doing the approaching - a receiver - if you will.

Bloody interesting that the photo of the arrested Syrian, doing the re-enactment, look precisely nothing like the CCTV footage of the fellow in the pic they released earlier...

30163872-01.jpg

Archived