Govt Urged To Follow Up On Thaksin Amnesty

Coss

In what seems to be a renewed attempt to seek a royal pardon for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a pro-red-shirt weekly published an article asking what happened to the petition with 3 million signatures that was submitted two years ago.

The article published in the latest edition of Maha Prachachon, which does not include the author's name, calls on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Justice Minister Pracha Promnok to follow up with the Corrections Department, which oversees the royal pardon process and regulations.

The article also provides background information on the much-publicised red-shirt rally in August 2009, during which the petition was handed over to an official of the Royal Household Bureau at the Grand Palace.

Pheu Thai party-list MP Nattawut Saikua said it was the government's responsibility see the progress and report to the public.

Asked whether he would lead red shirts to "seek an answer" from Yingluck or Pracha, Nattawut said: "If I say yes, then the headlines will say that the red shirts use mob rule to press for their demands."

My link

I am not to sure about that, it is just someone else trying to get to the corrupt proceeds. Thailand has always been corrupt, and the lack of accountability in Thailand politics has been pervading, for many a year, no matter who is in government ... do the Reds command anything more than a shift of the wealth from metropolitan areas to the rural north, which will be futile due to the paucity of infrastructure in the north. They themselves wrestle with the taboo "Thaksin", but there have been many a country that shelters former despots, say, for example, Pinochet whereas England is suppose to be a bastion of democracy :beer:

Archived