Ssd Drives

Coss

I asked my neighbour.... personal curiosity as well...

That is an easy one. I just ordered a laptop with a 500GB SSD.

The advantages are huge

1. Much faster

2. No data loss because there are no moving objects (how many time did you hit a object with your notebook?)

3. A fraction of the energy of a hard drive, extending the battery live with 20 - 40%

Not sure about No 2, I thought that only the fan moved in a laptop anyway, but there you go... :unsure:

As KS says, sounds like a rich man's toy, or at least a geek's.

More info arrived...

By the way, the SSD drives do not necessarily have to cost big $$$

If you are prepared to use let's say a 128GB drive the price is maybe in the range of 100-150$

You could also opt to keep your hard drive for storage purposes and remove your DVD drive and replace it with let's say a 68GB SSD. On this drive you put your OS and programs you often use and you still gain lots of speed and battery life.

Yes it's speed etc that I'm after...

And at the prices they are asking for the big ones, I'll wait until the prices come down.

I do a lot of video editing and an SSD would make all the difference, turning a 4 hour session into 2...

But at 800 + I'll wait

Like all early adopters, I want it now, but sanity will prevail.

A note: whilst my laptop is a latest model, in 2 years it'll be like a new one if I stick a SSD in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about putting an SSD drive in me laptop and the 480-512-600 GB drives seem to run out at $850~1250, here - macsales

Anyone have any experience with these large capacity SSDs?

Should I wait until the price falls?

Cheers

Coss

I bought one about 15 months ago (164GB for about 400USD). It increased the Windows rating of the laptop to 7.0 whereas without it would have been under 5.0. Fast boot and start up times for all programs. I have all my data on a second drive (non SSD). On reflection I didn't need 164GB, never more than half full so far with all the software in it. My latop has a slot for two drives built in, but would work with an ext USB drive as well.

Archived