Songs You Hate

sayjann

Used to like " Hotel California " by the Eagles until :confused: I came to LOS and heard it almost daily...

it has been said that 'hotel california' was the unofficial anthem of the nightlife areas but i rarely hear it now.

over the last year of so i heard 'american pie' every/all day and the ladies were bopping away.

i like both songs so not a problem.

but good in my fave day-time bar as they have no DJ until 7pm.

customers are encouraged to pick the music to play and the choice is very hard.

go up to where all the cd's are present and having to look through 100's of discs is very hard.

i just wish they would put them in alphabetical order.... :crazy:

but off topic for a bit.

i was surprised to learn that bars(maybe just some)had to pay a fee to play thai songs... :blink:

i have a selection of thai cd's and during the day when i was the only customer in sight i would ask to play them and while they would put a disc on there was a problem.

they would only 2-3 at a time and always looking around looking for police or others who would fine them for playing thai songs.

i realise this might just be bullshit and different rules for different places but i never really got the full story.

after all the locals tell you what they want you to believe.....

SJ, I've never heard any nonsense about not being allowed to play Thai songs. The few times I've been in a bar and they've played some Thai pop or Issan songs, the BGs suddenly came alive and actually ... started dancing! If I managed a gogo bar, I'd play a Thai song every half hour or so, just to wake up the dancers.

I can't remember the last time I heard Hotel California in a Thai bar. But 8 or 9 years ago, it seemed like every 5th song had to be Hotel California. :p

They also managed to slip in the Achy Breaky Fart every now and then, though I only heard the Macarena once or twice in bars.

There are (were) different licenses for different types of recorded music, and another for live music, but not sure if that covers one or all languages. Might depend on the bars as to what license they bother to sign up for. Remember being shown the licenses somewhere, not that I understood them, but had the detail pointed out. Seems to stem from the local Thai music monopoly making sure they get their cut. No one really cares about the foreigners do they.

There are (were) different licenses for different types of recorded music, and another for live music, but not sure if that covers one or all languages. Might depend on the bars as to what license they bother to sign up for. Remember being shown the licenses somewhere, not that I understood them, but had the detail pointed out. Seems to stem from the local Thai music monopoly making sure they get their cut. No one really cares about the foreigners do they.

flash....it was only an observation of mine over time.

it just seemed to me that certain bars were concerned about playing thai songs.

as radioman said it might depend on what sort of licence they have.

i have played thai music in bars and i just loved the way the ladies went wild and danced/sang along to the tunes.

the live band i went and saw played thai songs and the locals were certainly excited.

Archived