What Practical Use Has A 3G Smartphone?

iuytrede

I bought a 3G enabled smartphone last year, gf got one now.

We applied for 3G (its not working). If 3G works, what use does it have?

According to gf, the practical usefulness of these bricks lies in showing off on the BTS. Thats why they make them BIG so everybody can see them. Shoulder surfing confirms that Thais on the BTS are not using these devices, they just hold them in front of them for everybody to see, tap a bit, but nothing much happens.

So i asked a nerd what people do with these things.

Answer:

1. they do NOT surf the net (stupidly I thought so) (screen too small) except an occasional email. I agree. I cannot write on the touchscreen, gf suggested I get my fingertips surgically sharpened.

2. internet radio. I downloaded all apps for internet radio that I found in my store (samsung), none works. That settles this.

3. VoiP calls. Reminds me of a colleague who uses her iPhone to skype to China. It would be a lot cheaper, better voice quality and simpler if she just used the phone to phone to China... I was told she just doesnt know the rates. But if u call 24/7 to Paraguay its probably good. Do I know anybody in Paraguay?

3. location based services. Somehow I doubt they are very useful in BKK, but maybe? Any experiences?

4. download apps - better done with WiFi

Did my nerd forget anything?

I am serious.

BTW MMS is not supported by neither 3G phone nor network. But we have real phones for MMS, and real networks.

Hi,

3G provides a faster connection than GPRS/Edge. Don't think it is available in many areas outside of Bangkok (and a few other cities) yet.

No idea what the majority of Thais use it for. My colleague uses it fairly often when out and about to check his email, but that is about it. We recently bought a Galaxy Tab and did get the 3G version, but have so far not bought a SIM for it. Wifi has been good enough so far.

Sanuk!

In Thailand 3G coverage is rather limited to say the least, in Bangkok it is limited to CBD and certain Shopping Malls where 3G base stations are located, Seacon Square, Central Bang Na to the west, Future Park, Zeer IT Mall to the North etc. On Nut seems to be a blackspot due to distance from 3G base stations and Hi Rise buildings, 18 months ago I was getting full 3G signal when on elevated outer ring road from Pathum Thani all the way downtown.

I live in an area where there is 3G coverage from True Move and I was using my iPhone as a 3G modem for the first few weeks after moving in until I was able to get TOT ADSL installed and it's also a useful backup for when there are power outages. With an iPhone as a 3G modem you can also set up your own personal hotspot and connect other devices through it via bluetooth tethering. majority of areas I tend to visit in Bangkok fall under 3G coverage umbrella and I tend to use Skype over 3G for international voice communications on the iPhone.

Using a 3G Smartphone / device in another country with decent 3G is an eye opener, pop in a local pre paid SIM and off you go. Most cities with Mass Transits systems now have free apps which I found invaluable when I was working in Madrid, click on it and showed me nearest metro station enter destination and it plotted the route for you, it even paused iPod function and told me when approaching an interchange station and which line / platform to go to, I never got lost once.

In a nutshell 3G Smartphones are very practical as long as the infrastructure is in place to support 3G, unfortunately Thailand is blighted by bureaucracy and corruption which is holding back the issuing of 3G licenses, by the time Thailand has practical 3G the rest of the world will be on 4G.

4G is already a reality for 75% of Denmark (other nordic countries too as well as mainland, USA, Asia etc) as an example (coverage wide not sure about subscribers lol).

This means no new specific apps or things you can do - merely what you usually do on the net you can now do away from your home/computer/wifi too & often at even higher speeds (80Mbps is the nominal 4G DL speed).

Back to 3G (in LOS) where again you can do what you already did in 2G, but faster supposedly upto 8Mbps DL speeds is typical. Major disadvantge in 2G to do data (apart from it being slow) is that you're unlikely to be able to receive calls at the same time!

Useful things to do with a smartphone be it in a 2G, 3G or 4G signal area IME:

1) Chat - msn, skype, yahoo, ebuddy you name it all the apps are out there for free!

2) Navigation/maps/tracking - track your sports or find your way around or search for restaurant whatever - again free apps ala carte!

3) VoIP - often e.g. in Germany most customer service lines are expensive toll lines, so instead call their international number for a penny via your voip provider. Call anyone globally for cheaper than a local call as well ;) Once setup it really is simple - my android phone e.g. asks for every outgoing call whether to use regular & voip & off you go - couldnt be simpler & voice quality usually OK if bandwidth is adequate (dont try this in 2G though!)

4) Internet browsing - anything really!

5) Social network apps!

6) Public transport apps!

7) News!

8) Etc

That said I'm already over my most enthusiastic days & often find myself using my older 'stupid phone' for simple things like calls, sms, chat, photos etc as it simply does it more efficiently & with longer battery life! Again it may be a personal experience for or against touchscreen use, but definitely not all fingers are meant for this!!

4G is already a reality for 75% of Denmark (other nordic countries too as well as mainland, USA, Asia etc) as an example (coverage wide not sure about subscribers lol).

This means no new specific apps or things you can do - merely what you usually do on the net you can now do away from your home/computer/wifi too & often at even higher speeds (80Mbps is the nominal 4G DL speed).

Back to 3G (in LOS) where again you can do what you already did in 2G, but faster supposedly upto 8Mbps DL speeds is typical. Major disadvantge in 2G to do data (apart from it being slow) is that you're unlikely to be able to receive calls at the same time!

Useful things to do with a smartphone be it in a 2G, 3G or 4G signal area IME:

1) Chat - msn, skype, yahoo, ebuddy you name it all the apps are out there for free!

2) Navigation/maps/tracking - track your sports or find your way around or search for restaurant whatever - again free apps ala carte!

3) VoIP - often e.g. in Germany most customer service lines are expensive toll lines, so instead call their international number for a penny via your voip provider. Call anyone globally for cheaper than a local call as well ;) Once setup it really is simple - my android phone e.g. asks for every outgoing call whether to use regular & voip & off you go - couldnt be simpler & voice quality usually OK if bandwidth is adequate (dont try this in 2G though!)

4) Internet browsing - anything really!

5) Social network apps!

6) Public transport apps!

7) News!

8) Etc

That said I'm already over my most enthusiastic days & often find myself using my older 'stupid phone' for simple things like calls, sms, chat, photos etc as it simply does it more efficiently & with longer battery life! Again it may be a personal experience for or against touchscreen use, but definitely not all fingers are meant for this!!

thx a lot

very helpful answer

BTW i have to correct myself: internet radio works also with Samsung, and i like it a lot

Archived