33 Provinces Cold Disaster Zones

Flashermac

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the very cheap Thai blankets tend to fall apart rather easily. Still, they should last a few winters.

When I lived up north, I used to see the female students start to look a bit ratty. The reason was homes have no hot water and they wouldn't wash their hair as often as usual. Also, "cold" is relative. A Peace Corps friend visited his cousins in Ireland on his way to the States on a home leave. He said one spring day all the guys said it was warm and stripped off their shirts to play football. Coming straight from Bangkok, he said he was freezing his butt off wearing a jacket!

As Cav pointed out, it was cooler last year. But the PT run the country now ... and they seem to like to exaggerate. It is about 30 right now in Bangkok, expected to get all the way down to 23 tonight. A quick check show Chiangmai at 32/21, supposed to get down to 19 in a few days. Loei is 25 right now, but should vary from 33 to 21 - hardly freezing. I can't find any lower temperatures in the north or Issan. So presumably cold means when you have to turn off your A/C. :xmascheer

Some of the very cheap Thai blankets tend to fall apart rather easily. Still, they should last a few winters.

When I lived up north, I used to see the female students start to look a bit ratty. The reason was homes have no hot water and they wouldn't wash their hair as often as usual. Also, "cold" is relative. A Peace Corps friend visited his cousins in Ireland on his way to the States on a home leave. He said one spring day all the guys said it was warm and stripped off their shirts to play football. Coming straight from Bangkok, he said he was freezing his butt off wearing a jacket!

Rags... the blankets not the girls.

The Mrs scored one for the dog a few years back and it lasted 5 minutes.

It warmed up last week and we had some serious rain on two days. Unusual for this time of the year.

The dry season crop of choice seems to be tobacco this year.... has the price gone up or something? :confused:

Guest lazyphil

So, how cold is it in the Cold Disaster Zones?

(Currently -7 C in at the Rhine River, I wear two pairs of long under trousers, since I still ride my bike to work....)

me too, 5 mile trip in....you're not utting in the effort to work up a sweat having to wear all that clobber!!!! :elephant:

...But the PT run the country now ... and they seem to like to exaggerate...

The PT should take a trip to Europe and then they would know about cold!

Europe cold snap death toll rises

_58310183_013919123-1.jpg

More deaths have been reported from the cold snap across Europe, which has already claimed more than 200 lives.

Ukraine continues to be hardest hit, with another nine deaths overnight. Officials say 131 have now died, most of them homeless people, and 1,800 people have been taken to hospital.

Eight people died in Poland overnight, police say, bringing the toll to 53.

Transport hubs have also been hit, with London's Heathrow airport expecting to run only 50% of services on Sunday.

At least four have died in France since the Arctic spell began and 43 departments in France have been put on alert for "exceptional" weather conditions.

The Italian capital Rome has seen its heaviest snowfall in more than 25 years, with runs on essential goods at supermarkets reported.

"The snow is beautiful, but let's hope spring comes soon,'' Pope Benedict XVI told the small number of pilgrims who braved the cold to go to St Peter's Square.

The Italian national rail operator is facing class action lawsuits after hundreds of people were trapped in trains due to the weather, AFP news agency reports.

Three helicopters were being used over eastern Bosnia on Sunday to deliver food and pick up people who needed evacuation.

A state of emergency is in force in the capital, Sarajevo, where snow has paralysed the city.

In neighbouring Serbia, 70,000 people remain cut off and 32 municipalities throughout the country have introduced emergency measures, according to senior emergency official Predrag Maric.

The Netherlands marked temperatures of -21.8C in the town of Lelystad on Saturday, the lowest recorded in the country for 27 years.

it all depends

was last week in northern china and temperatures outdoors were minus 6 (Celsius) until minus 12, but you could go indoors in pleasant heated rooms.

now I am in midwest China. there is no heating. outdoors around 3-5, but in offices and restaurants it is not much warmer and everybody keep their jacket and coats on. In my hotelroom it is currently around 11 degrees celsius. so you are 24 hours exposed to cold temperatures and that sucks!

it all depends

was last week in northern china and temperatures outdoors were minus 6 (Celsius) until minus 12, but you could go indoors in pleasant heated rooms.

now I am in midwest China. there is no heating. outdoors around 3-5, but in offices and restaurants it is not much warmer and everybody keep their jacket and coats on. In my hotelroom it is currently around 11 degrees celsius. so you are 24 hours exposed to cold temperatures and that sucks!

Yep, that can be a problem. When I moved to Japan in the 90s I arrived on Dec. 31. It was around 3C minus and my badly isolated apato had only an Aircon above the floor to roof balcony window and glass door (wich did not close well). My first purchase was a German electrical heater to which I sat next to the whole winter.

The thinking in Japan in regard to coldness is: Not the room has to be warm, but only the body. That's why most Japanese houses are badly isolated and don't have proper heating. The apartments are full of energy wasting heating appliances (heated tables, heated toilet seats, heated carpets, e.g,.

Archived