Stickman Throws Down With Strikers

My understanding is that the owner of Baccarra is making a proverbial killing. Same same with owners of Tilac/Country Road (and several other places).

But it does give one pause when you walk through places like Nana or Cowboy and stop in several places with one or two patrons sitting there, I mean there are 4 or 5 of those for every Rainbow 4 or Spankys or Baccara.

How the fuck do they make money or stay in business? I just feel bad for the 20 girls on stage dancing in a line for a single 80 y/o geezer who forget where he left his dentures last night and has been sipping on the same Singha for 3 hours.

Oh, the humanity.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't they have that sign in a small or medium size? My error for looking at work (I keep the browser in a small screen in the corner just on the avatar's alone, but that one was hard to miss :) )

Wasn't even referencing Flash on that one sir, I like to rib him about his senior status, but he has a little pride and class. I was talking about going into a gogo and seeing one or two guys there, no intent of spending money, buying a ladydrink, or anything other than planting their asses in a chair for a few hours and trying to milk a beer or two.

I don't know man, you can walk into Nana or Cowboy on any given night from my experience and find places at 11pm or midnight, with several staff working, and virtually no customers. And those few customers they actually have are hardened locals stretching the baht as far as possible. How do they stay in business?

Bar4 has a good rep and good word of mouth, and even when I was there during the flood and everything was dead (except Tilac and Baccara) -- he still had a lot of folks there in the evening. Striker does too though - they seem to generate traffic at night. Pool tables.

What does it all mean? I put the question to you.

Ps. Like to rib Flash because he has an easy nature and because I respect him - if I didn't wouldn't bother. He's in better shape physically (and definitely mentally) than most guys in their 20s. Appreciate the real wealth of experience he brings to the table (and yeah, he's a bit quirky like every other expat). :)

Ps. Like to rib Flash because he has an easy nature and because I respect him - if I didn't wouldn't bother. He's in better shape physically (and definitely mentally) than most guys in their 20s. Appreciate the real wealth of experience he brings to the table (and yeah, he's a bit quirky like every other expat). :)

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Time to invest in a sense of humour, Dave. I dont think Flash was too offended ....

You all know where I got this - bolding is mine:

And in the beer bars on the Nana Plaza side of Sukhumvit soi 4 expect big price increases. The mooted rent rises on the shophouses right outside the plaza run a few hundred percent so price increases are a must if the bars are to remain viable. Once the new rental rates kick in, space out front of Nana Plaza on the soi will be more expensive than space inside. If you enjoy the 65 baht beers offered at most soi 4 beer bars make the most of it because it's hard to see that being the price come July. Whatever happens to prices on soi 4, there could be some winners. The Golden Beer Bar outside Nana has no reason to increase prices as their rent is not due to increase and another beneficiary should be Bar4. The large, nicely decked out beer bar a little further down soi 4 on the other side of the road isn't affected by the rent increases and there will be no reason for them to increase prices. If they keep the 65 baht pricing in place, they could really boom. I do wonder whether the owner will be approached and asked to increase his prices.

You all know where I got this - bolding is mine:

And in the beer bars on the Nana Plaza side of Sukhumvit soi 4 expect big price increases. The mooted rent rises on the shophouses right outside the plaza run a few hundred percent so price increases are a must if the bars are to remain viable. Once the new rental rates kick in, space out front of Nana Plaza on the soi will be more expensive than space inside. If you enjoy the 65 baht beers offered at most soi 4 beer bars make the most of it because it's hard to see that being the price come July. Whatever happens to prices on soi 4, there could be some winners. The Golden Beer Bar outside Nana has no reason to increase prices as their rent is not due to increase and another beneficiary should be Bar4. The large, nicely decked out beer bar a little further down soi 4 on the other side of the road isn't affected by the rent increases and there will be no reason for them to increase prices. If they keep the 65 baht pricing in place, they could really boom. I do wonder whether the owner will be approached and asked to increase his prices.

I heard over the past weekend that the rent increases will be limited to 30% as that limit is in the Thai Commerciall Code. I can't find any such provision in the law, but that shows how the rumors are flying about this.

TH

When was the last time your income went up by 30 per cent overnight ?

when my boss fired me after working nearly 10 years for the same company and I found a new and better job literally overnight by some network connection!

I thanked my boss for firing me; i have never seen a guy so baffled!

Archived