Two Foreigners Perish In City Hotel Fire

Flashermac

Peace Corps had us learn to rapel down the side of a building. It's not that difficult, though admittedly I was a lot younger then and the building wasn't on fire! :p

p.s. This wasn't PC Thailand. I was in an earlier group in Milwaukee that was to go to Kenya. It was as an agricultural advisor, and I know absolutely nothing about sisal or tetse flies. I quit - as did about half of the other trainees, who had degrees in law, engineering or lib arts!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Peace Corps had us learn to rapel down the side of a building. It's not that difficult, though admittedly I was a lot younger then and the building wasn't on fire! :p

p.s. This wasn't PC Thailand. I was in an earlier group in Milwaukee that was to go to Kenya. It was as an agricultural advisor, and I know absolutely nothing about sisal or tetse flies. I quit - as did about half of the other trainees, who had degrees in law, engineering or lib arts!

what about those shutes builders send rubble and building debris down into a skip?.....just have a big foam mat at the bottom and jump in!!!

i've wondered before if such a thing existed!!....makes perfect sense. why dont all buildings with floors above, say 3 floors have a dedicated room with a life line, or even every room. hardly cost that much and ok may not be for the faint hearted but a choice of trying to be a member of sas or navy seal and failing/falling or burning to a crisp i know what i'd prefer!!!1

They are quite common in both Korea and Japan, well at least in the hotels I have stayed in there.

Available in each room, hook to hang the "Life Line" from outside the room window, as you said makes sense and fortunately never had the need to use one.

Guest lazyphil

They are quite common in both Korea and Japan, well at least in the hotels I have stayed in there.

Available in each room, hook to hang the "Life Line" from outside the room window, as you said makes sense and fortunately never had the need to use one.

no suprise that japan and korea have these. they have their heads screwed on tight. since their buildings are so well constructed i doubt they ever get used anyway!!!

I have never seen this in any Japanese hotel. Neither in the cheap ones nor in a recently built 33floor high rise hotel.

Only the office building I worked in a decade ago had helmets and a rope ladder, but this was the third floor or so.

In Japan I have seen them in hotels in Sakai and Yokohama, Korea Ulsan, Pusan and Pohang, more of your industrial cities rather than the average tourist traps, then again I have only visited both countries to see vendors and never as a tourist.

In Japan I have seen them in hotels in Sakai and Yokohama, Korea Ulsan, Pusan and Pohang, more of your industrial cities rather than the average tourist traps, then again I have only visited both countries to see vendors and never as a tourist.

I have never been in Japan as a tourist, but I have never stayed in industrial areas. And I even presume that even some businessmen tare staying in the center of Tokyo. spin.gif

But no bungee ropes there.

Anyway, back to LOS. The problem in LOS seems to be that building rules are being ignored frequently and that the enforcement of the rules is extremely weak .

Like the Santika fire, its not about following the extremely sophisticated Japanese building rules, but enforcing basic rules set by Thai government, like keeping fire doors open or having sprinklers on every hotel floor, which seemed to have been missed on one floor in the hotel on Suk 22.

I think it was the Prince Hotel that had a fire a few years ago - and the sprinkler system wouldn't work. Turned out the reason was that "somebody" had disconnected them so they wouldn't interfere with the water supply in the hotel's massage parlour!

In LOS laws are made to be ignored. :p

Archived