Understanding Their View of Your $$$ Money $$$

zanemay

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:green] "The "perspective" that I've gained is that in Thailand it's okay to fuck over anybody as long as you can get away with it. Whether that ability comes from a [real or imagined] superior moral, legal or social position, strength of numbers, corruption, etc. doesn't matter. Thai morality is an oxymoron, IMO. "

Funny I see the same thing in the States. The main difference in my opinion is that poor people in the States have a harder time operating on that level.

Screwing people over seems to be an exclusive domain for the rich and powerful who can hire good lawyers and politicians to protect them and their interests. Thais however can participate in corrupt practices on every level so it is more equal from a relative basis. color=green>

I was more refering to JJ's statement about poor people in the states having a harder time operating on the same level with Thai's, because of corruption at all levels. A skid row bum in NYC is just that. And has little hope of being more than that, given the fact they cannot aspire to enter a system where corrution can more easily remove them from their situation. He's trying to say that because Thai corruption encompasses all levels, it's easier for a poor person to move to the 'next rung on the ladder" in the Thai culture, as opposed to western culture. At least, that's how I'm reading it.

And you're right for bringing up the welfare factor. Or lack of it, in Thailand. It probably breeds an overwellming desire to get-what-you-can-no-matter-what attitude, as there is no safety net waiting for you, in case you should fall. This fact alone nessesitates a way of looking at things that is unknown to us in the west.

"HM

Couldn't have put it better if i'd tried "

what is wrong with you? - this is the second time you've agreed with me today.

Welcome to the dark side my friend!

"And you're right for bringing up the welfare factor. Or lack of it, in Thailand. It probably breeds an overwellming desire to get-what-you-can-no-matter-what attitude, as there is no safety net waiting for you, in case you should fall. This fact alone nessesitates a way of looking at things that is unknown to us in the west. "

considering the levels of poverty and blatant inequalities in thai society its absolutely amazing that crime is not rife (compared with for example Brazil)

I put that down to the Buddhist faith whereby people accept their position in life, they feel they are in a position that they deserve to be in perhaps due to matters related to a previous life - hence in this way the gross inequalities so visible around them are not actually inequalities at all but rather simply their just desserts. With that belief and the belief that they will get what they deserve in the next life theres no need for them to go around town causing mischief, just behave well in this life and they'll be looked after in the next

what a great country - got to love it don't you?

Hansum,

I take your point re the poverty in Thailand not being mirrored in the crime rate. I felt safer in Bangkok than in Sydney (I think I'd feel safer almost anywhere than in Sydney, but thats another post entirely!).

Dateline recently profiled attempts by the guy who cleaned up NYC under Rudy Giulani (cant remember his name) to clean up Caracas. Last year, there were 7000 murders in Venezuela, many of them sanctioned executions carried out by Police on those that they deemed responsible for various crimes. You mentioned Brazil - I believe that the same semi-official death squads operate in Rio.

South American holiday, anyone ?

Actually,most of the time, you get to pay exactly what you thought you were going to pay. Never had much problems with double -pricing either. Only private or national monuments/parks. here, in SF, we have a bar that says it all : "we cheat tourists and drunks". Not a thai proverb....

besides, one should be cautious not to confuse thai values, thai culture with the segment of thai population that lives from dealing with (or being around) tourists/farangs. Tourists are an easy target anywhere around the globe. Some countries, you can get killed for your camera and easily mugged for anything. not so Thailand. Some facts of life are annoying there, but it's 3rd world "everyone for itself" mentality. we get used to it...

The "perspective" that I've gained is that in Thailand it's okay to fuck over anybody as long as you can get away with

----------------------------------------

Isn't it true in western countries too, except there maybe it will be over much more money (PG&E debacle in california)? Or if money is not the matter, did you see the movie "E. Brokovic"? someone is always trying to screw you, anywhere.

"...here, in SF, we have a bar that says it all : 'we cheat tourists and drunks.'"

That same saying is on the outside of The Dubliner in Washington Square.

Archived