Understanding Their View of Your $$$ Money $$$

zanemay

Another Discussion about Thai's and Money

I have been living here on and off for a year and a half. I have been seeing and living close to a certain segment of Thai society - service people and bar girls. Also, because of my South Pattaya neighborhood, lady boys and bar "boyz."

Most of discussions on the board about money and Thai girls revolve around ethics, but IMO the discussions lose their way because they attempt to impose Western values on this segment of Thai culture. To understand most of the Thai's we deal with, you have to give up your perspective. Here are some exercises to get started.

Embrace this concept: It is okay to charge different people different amounts for your goods and services. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with charging foreigners twice as much as locals. If a girl snags a bona fide newbie, there is nothing wrong with asking for 5,000 baht in the morning when 1,500 is the going rate. It's not illegal. It brings in more money. It is a fine thing to do. (I know a fellow who paid the 5k.)

Here's another one: There is nothing wrong with false advertising. You have a guest house. You put a large sign outside that says "Rooms 350 baht." Whenever anyone comes in and asks for a 350 baht room, you say, "Finished. Only have 450 baht rooms." Or you rent motor bikes and have your store window painted to say, "Motorbikes 100 baht per day," but you always say "Finished" because your charge is 150 baht per day. (I have been to both places.)

There is nothing wrong with a man dressing like a woman and living his life as a grotesque pantomime. This is a respected career option. No problem. It brings in money.

There is nothing wrong with pretending to be gay in order to earn a living. It is a fine thing to suck cock and get fucked in the ass if you get paid for it. If you make this career choice, you may want to keep a low profile about it in your village, but your self-esteem need not be compromised.

Surprisingly it is not acceptable to be a mugger or a robber, and it is especially not acceptable to rob tourists. (Not that it never happens, but it almost never happens compared to most other tourist destinations. The source of this anomaly is a mystery to me.) While these things are not okay, it is okay to take advantage of any kind of situation. A Westerner thinks of these as "scams," but Thai's do not. If a falang is involved in a traffic accident, even as a passenger, it is standard procedure to make him pay for injuries to people and damages to vehicles. I was almost hit when a rider cutting a corner so much that even though I was well to the side of the street he zoomed between me and a building! It occured to me that if he had hit me and spilled his passengers and if a policemen was on the spot, I would be hit up to pay all costs.

Similarly, a recent letter from a member of the British Embassy to the Pattaya Mail newspaper was a warning about your "liabilities." A Brit had been staying at an island guest house. He left the fan on when he went for a swim. The shamefully substandard wiring picked this time to give out and he returned to find a fire. There were no extinguishers or hoses and it burned out his bungalow. The owner had no insurance and went to the police. They made a demand for 80,000 baht on the Brit and arrested him when he refused to pay. After some time in jail he paid a lesser amount, but still a substantial settlement.

This all sounds cynical from a Western point of view and we cannot help but to feel cynical. However, we are out of line if we get carried away. These are realities that it is helpful to understand. To live here and enjoy the overwhelming benefits, you have to reconcile yourself to certain things. Needless to say, you have to careful to avoid what problems you can. If a baht bus I was riding in was in an accident I would disappear as quick as I could. And, after a motorbike accident on a frantically busy Pattaya street, I have never ridden a bike again. I can usually get everywhere I need to go on baht buses in Pattaya and on certain rare occasions I will take a motorcycle taxi.

Choke dee krap. Good luck to you. We all need it here.

Zane

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zanemay, I agree with almost everything you wrote. Western ethics are simply not applicable in Thailand (and in many other countries of East Asia). The sooner we accept this the easier it's for us to enjoy the many positive aspects of this beautiful country. It's a learning process which for some people takes a short time whereas others just cannot or don't want to understand. Money in Chinese influenced societies is the most important part of life. The way how it comes is only secondary. That's at least my opinion.

Zanemay,

I think I understand you point. We should not get upset when Thai people exhibit values that are different from ours. I certainly agree when we are talking about values that are not detrimental to us. Even when we are talking about values that are detrimental to us, I can sort of agree - I say this because we cannot change the culture of Thialand by getting angry. As we are guests in the country, we have the choice to accept Thai culture, the good, the bad and the ugly, or choose to live elsewhere.

However, there are certain pratices you mentioned that I would not call 'Thai values'. Take false advertising: most Thai people would not like to be deceived by a bait-and-switch in a motel. Most Thai people would not like to be held liable for an accident that was not their fault. They may accept this, as we do, but they would not like it, and I think (I hope!) they would not consider this to be 'Thai values' and do onto others these deceptive and unjust actions that have been done unto them.

Even if there is no pratical value in getting angry about these things, there is a lot of value in complaining about them on this board. For on thing, it serves as a warning to others how not to get burned in the LOS. Even just getting it off your chest helps - better to let it out than bottle it up inside you.

JG

It is clearly important to try and understand the Thai view point if you expect to live there comfortably and or be involved in a relationship with a Thai. As many people try to claim that Thai culture can't be changed, I believe this to be false. Culture is constantly changing as well as each individuals opinions. Certainly some things never change, some things are more difficult to change, and often trying to make change can be tough, but it can be done. It would certainly be a real headache to make it your crusade to change Thailand I confess. However, look at what missionaries and travelers have accomplished over the centuries. We may hate missionaries but you can't deny that they have caused religious change in many countries. Look at how Buddhism began in India and then reshaped the beliefs of millions in South East Asia. The same can be said about Islam. Culture can be changed and it can even be done through foreigners. Last point, I think people are really making a mistake to just through away their values and say, "Well the Thai way contradicts this so I must do the Thai way." This thinking, while it may be convenient and make things easier, is just really dangerous. I think it opens the possibility of outright exploitation by Thai women. If you compromise your values then it is only fair that she change her values as well. For example, if I have to pay a bride price then she has to pay for the wedding. Adios

"The "perspective" that I've gained is that in Thailand it's okay to fuck over anybody as long as you can get away with it. Whether that ability comes from a [real or imagined] superior moral, legal or social position, strength of numbers, corruption, etc. doesn't matter. Thai morality is an oxymoron, IMO. "

Funny I see the same thing in the States. The main difference in my opinion is that poor people in the States have a harder time operating on that level.

Screwing people over seems to be an exclusive domain for the rich and powerful who can hire good lawyers and politicians to protect them and their interests. Thais however can participate in corrupt practices on every level so it is more equal from a relative basis.

Well,judging from what I see in Europe I'd say it's the way business often goes too.

And ZaneMay no need to be jumping out of the bus if there's an accident.Or is Pattaya so terrible?

[color:green] Funny I see the same thing in the States. The main difference in my opinion is that poor people in the States have a harder time operating on that level.

Screwing people over seems to be an exclusive domain for the rich and powerful who can hire good lawyers and politicians to protect them and their interests. Thais however can participate in corrupt practices on every level so it is more equal from a relative basis. color=green>

jjsushi, Very good post! Your statement holds much truth.

Guest lazyphil

The poorer people in the UK at least, maybe in the USA get welfare benifits of all kinds. Thais don't and need to be sharper....??

"IMO the discussions lose their way because they attempt to impose Western values on this segment of Thai culture"

i agree completely

so often you read posts complaining about how BG's may only love a man because of his money and when his money runs out they no longer love him.

In the West this is seen as being too blatantly mercenary, instead we dress it up in terms of social status/education/personality traits etc

I get the impression that in LOS the amount of money a man has is just another one of their personal characteristics, just like say eye colour, hair colour, height, sense of humour etc and so in that context its perfectly acceptable to like a man because of his money - just as in the west it is socially acceptable to like a man because of his sense of humour or because of his wonderful personality ..so why not acceptable to like someone because of their money?

if a western girl falls in love with a man because of his dashing good looks and charming considerate award winning personality but dumps him 10 years later when he is an ugly bitter mean spiteful old man, is that any worse than a BG dumping a man because has lost his job and lost all his money?

is it any more acceptable to like someone because of their looks/personality? - these are not things that we can control, they are to such a large extent, genetically determined.

At least with money everyone has a chance to improve their lot.

(of course the BG's love me for my hansum looks and fun-loving personality - my money has absolutely nothing to do with it...honest guv)

Archived