Understanding Their View of Your $$$ Money $$$

zanemay

Visa fees: Westerners get a free Visa up to one month. Longer visa cost about 500 B. Very similar in many Asian countries.

Asians pay visa fees to the West of typically 1000 - 2000 B. And no free visa in many cases.

I know a Chinese girl who paid 100 USD in non-refundable fees to the US embassy (in Europe, where she was living) and then was refused a visa.

Now, this is not corruption, just a rip-off.

And I have a lot more means to defend myself against some overcharging Thai vendor than a Chinese has when dealing with a Western embassy. Our way to rip them off is certainly more sophisticated.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether it's Thailand, the U.S. or wherever, if you've got money, someone else is going to want it -- especially if they're poor.

Personally, as long as I don't think I'm getting ripped off, I'm happy with spending my money as I please.

If it's paying USD 500 for a concert ticket or 3,000 Baht for a bar girl, if I'm happy w/the experience, I don't mind spending the money.

If I remember, someone made a comment on this board that if you don't like the double-standard when it comes to pricing, don't spend you're money.

"Asians pay visa fees to the West of typically 1000 - 2000 B. And no free visa in many cases."

Well, not ALL Asians. Japanese, Singaporeans, and I believe Israelis (yes, Israel is in Asia) can enter the U.S. visa-free.

"If it's paying USD 500 for a concert ticket or 3,000 Baht for a bar girl, if I'm happy w/the experience, I don't mind spending the money."

"if you've got money, someone else is going to want it -- especially if they're poor"

Conflicting statements.

In the West it is the rich and powerful (concert managers, famous artists - or in the case of visa fees the government)who fleece us.

In Thailand it is the poor (Isaan BG, street vendor).

Actually I rather have my money end up in the pockets of "Lek" and "Noi" than on the bank accounts of Kenneth Lay and Jeff Skilling.

Where do you think Israel is? In Europe? South America? "The American Heritage Dictionary" states it is "A country of southwest Asia on the eastern Mediterranean Sea." Look on a map.

"The Middle East" is not a continent. It is a man-made political designation. Israel is, and always has been, inside Asia.

The criteria would be by continents. Since Asia is such a large continent, the location of an Asia country is usually described by one of the many different sub regions, such as South East Asia, South West Asia, North Asia, etc. Israel is usually described as being in the Middle East.

One thing I have noticed, in the UK, Asian is a term used for people of Indian/Pakistani origins, whereas in the US, Asians are usually Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc. Big difference. Don?t think I have ever heard an Israeli called Asian.

Again, I have participated in the hijacking of a thread.

TH

Archived