Understanding Their View of Your $$$ Money $$$

zanemay

"Welcome Farangs, please leave your money and go home."

As has been pointed out, this could be changed to:

Welcome Tourists, please leave your money and go home."

and it would apply to every tourist destination in the world. I grew up in Calif. beach resort, every summer, we took them for all we could get, cursed them, and tried to f*ck their daughters, all at the same time.

TH

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point exactly. I've been conditioned through life (well..now I know better) to think that Asian countries are those populated with Orientals. I suspect that if you were to ask all people in US, that 80% would tell you that Pakistan is part of the Arab/Middle Eastern world, even with all of the press recently. I'm only speaking to what is perceived, not what is actually correct.

Hopefully some other board members from US will jump in here, and I'm not talking about the one's who grew up as world travelers, but the ones (the majority of US) who haven't traveled to this part of the world. Did you know that only 15% of Americans have a passport? Unreal, huh? We are not a well-traveled lot, as a whole. And when we do travel overseas, it seems to be Europe, as a first choice. Thank God I'm one of the chosen few to have found Thailand.

"Pakistanis are not 'Oriental' but Pakistan is in Asia."

Technically, they are. The aforementioned dictionary decribes the Orient as "The countries of Asia," although it does go on to say "especially of eastern Asia."

For More confusion, see:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_166a.html

and

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/meurasia.html

(God, I love "The Straight Dope.")

"My point exactly. I've been conditioned through life (well..now I know better) to think that Asian countries are those populated with Orientals. I suspect that if you were to ask all people in US, that 80% would tell you that Pakistan is part of the Arab/Middle Eastern world, even with all of the press recently. I'm only speaking to what is perceived, not what is actually correct."

At the end of the day, my point stands: There are three countries in Asia whose nationals don't need visas for the U.S. (And unfortunately for everyone's girlfriends and wives here, including mine, Thailand ain't one of them.)

Its all about money, rich Asian countries dont need visa for Europe and US, such as Japan and Singapore.

As for Israel, there in the middle East, most definitely not Asia. Turkeys definitely not European, no way Europe has spent the last 900 years fighting to keep the Turks out.

Europe is Christian first and foremost, Turkey the start of Islam and never the twain should meet, in my opinion.

STH

Re: Understanding Their View of Your $$$ Money $$$

Another Discussion about Thai's and Money

Hey, let's please not use term like "Their" and "Thais" when talking about a small segment of Thai population. The vast majority are not out to scam you (well, at least no me smile.gif ), overcharge you, etc.

Just to offer a counterexample: I've thrown myself at the mercy of motorbike mechanics a few times in the LOS, something I would dread even in the States. I was not overcharged either time.

I dunno, I guess everyone has different experirences. Maybe based on who you are, how you interact with the Thais. I have not felt the target of scams in the LOS.

Though maybe my year and a half has just been lucky so far...

Archived