Good/bad Misfortune

sayjann

this might be a cruel post/topic on my part but i do find it quite funny.

a neighbour of mine recently died and one of those people who seemed to be around forever.

his son is about 2 years younger then me and has lacked for nothing in his life.

the dad was a big-name employer in the building trade and just gave his son a job when he left school and the son never had to achieve anything after that.

the son inherited his house across the road from me from his granny,so never had to buy it or have a mortgage and got a little nestegg when his mum died.

never seemed to lack for anything and became a family man with 2 sons who are around 30 now.

his dad's house is worth around £400,000 and as the dad's health went down the last year or so would go around boasting about how much cash/property he was going to inherit and retire and move abroad.

the son is not a particular popular person in the area and his dad finally realised this and made a will with 7 witnesses.

most of us in the street knew the details of the will and would love to see the son's face when it is read on 16-7 and he finds out the details.

no cash lump sum left for him,all left to charity and the house he has sadly vacated will be rented out for low income families for a period of 20 years and all rents will also go to charity.

and any upgrades/repairs will have to be paid for by his son..... :rotfl:

and after 20 years the house will be sold and again all proceeds will go to charity.

as i say i may be cruel thinking about the misfortune of the son thinking he is in for a huge windfall but as he has become a total arsehole and now a laughing stock i don't feel sorry for him at all.

we grew up together and he was a good friend while growing up.

but now the sort of person i would cross the street to avoid even saying 'hello' to.

The son may yet contest the will. . . in fact it sounds like he's the kind who would. Good on the dad (deceased) for finally giving the son a wake up call, but I think it would have been better done 30 years ago by the sound of it, or at least while the dad was still kicking.

Why would the son have to pay the upkeep to the house if he gets no rental income or monetary benefit from the capital growth in that 20 years, or cash from the sale? What would they (the tenants) do to enforce that? Stopping rent payments won't affect him.

Heep us posted Monday sj.

Reads like an old wives tale, but I'll bite. Having gone to Uni with a swag of little shits who thought it was a complete tragedy that they had to subject themselves to years of fulltime study (paid for by mummy and daddy) and live at home (rent and meals etc free), I know a little about the sense of entitlement. It only got worse when I started working and many around me were buying houses with the deposit paid for by mum and dad, but that's life. I was white, male, educated and had a job in a country that takes care of such people, even if they lose that job. I could have been walking the streets of Mumbai, an 'untouchable', watching that billionaire's skyscraper being erected above the slum I called home - its all relative.

Getting back to your friend, karma is a bitch - perhaps 'Kali' might be a better mental image for him right now ?

Kali.jpg

The Hindus knew a thing or two about women, methinks.

is this legally possible in the UK to cut the only son completely out of the will? In other countries there is a legal minimum for sons and daughters.

but certainly the son does not need to accept the obligation to pay for the building maintenance.

No legal requirement to include anyone in ones will in UK, only if a person dies intestate then court appointed administrators will split the estate amongst

a ) Wife, or if widowed

B ) Children, or if no children

c) Blood relatives

I agree with your take on the son having no obligation to pay for building maintenance, that would be the duty of the executor of the will.

As for the comment "made a will with 7 witnesses" WHY? Does he think seven witness is better than two the legal requirement, In England & Wales, you need two witnesses over the age of 18 to witness your signature and to sign your will; in Scotland, you need only one witness over the age of 16. The spouse of a testator (person making a will) cannot witness a will, nor can beneficiaries of the will (or their spouses).

Will forms I have seen only have space for two witnesses (attached)

compactlaw-will-single-man-with-children.pdf

The son may yet contest the will. . . in fact it sounds like he's the kind who would. Good on the dad (deceased) for finally giving the son a wake up call, but I think it would have been better done 30 years ago by the sound of it, or at least while the dad was still kicking.

Why would the son have to pay the upkeep to the house if he gets no rental income or monetary benefit from the capital growth in that 20 years, or cash from the sale? What would they (the tenants) do to enforce that? Stopping rent payments won't affect him.

Heep us posted Monday sj.

i only know what i posted.

i don't know the ins and outs of the law in this matter but the will was witnessed by people who had known the father for 40-50 years a couple of years ago.

the father was bright as a button and not lost any of his senses and i always enjoyed walking to the local shops with him and chatting if we met up.

a nice fella who i had a lot of time for,unlike his son.

if he can contest the will i'm sure he will but i don't know the law or what the outcome might be.

after the cremation it seems mourners were invited for a sort of wake in a local pub.

food and drinks were had and at the end of the afternoon the son announced that all the mourners had to pay a bill of around £30 each,no way was he paying.

and this morning (saturday) he had his dad's dogs taken to the vets and put down.

despite the fact there were many of offers from people to adopt them..... :mad::doah::nono::cussing::angryfire:

The son will be sorry soon enough when the will is read.

I suspect the seven witnesses to the signing may also be fully aware of the contents of the will just in case the son starts bull shitting and boasting etc.

They'll be able to put him straight very quickly and probably in public too.

The son may feel the need to move away when things start getting hot for him and when it gets out that the father considered him to be a proper c..t.

He may find that he's no longer welcome there now that his father is dead. The locals probably put up with him because of the father but he ho things have changed.

after the cremation it seems mourners were invited for a sort of wake in a local pub.

food and drinks were had and at the end of the afternoon the son announced that all the mourners had to pay a bill of around £30 each,no way was he paying.

and this morning (saturday) he had his dad's dogs taken to the vets and put down.

despite the fact there were many of offers from people to adopt them.....

what a lousy bastard! he fully deserves to get cut out of the will by his father and humilated in front of the neighborhood!

Archived