14 Dead At Batman Premiere In Colorado

gobbledonk

Hopefully, my shit net connection will let me post this :

My link

FOURTEEN people have been killed and 50 wounded when a gunman wearing a gas mask and body armour opened fire at a crowded cinema premiere in Denver.

Authorities have confirmed 14 dead and 50 injured in the shooting at at a cinema at a shopping mall in Aurora, Colorado, a suburb of Denver.

Ten people were killed in the cinema. Four died in hospital.

Children were reportedly in the audience but it is unknown if there children among the casualties.

Aurora police chief Dan Oates said the attack happened at 12.30am, Denver time, about 15 minutes after the film started.

“Witnesses tell us that he released some sort of canister. They hear a hissing sound and a gas emerged. And then we know the gunman opened fire.â€

He confirmed police found the gunman at the back of the theatre in the parking lot in possession of a gas mask, and at least a rifle and and a handgun

Local radio station 850 KOA Radio quoted witnesses as saying that an individual wearing a gas mask opened fire in a theatre at the Aurora Mall.

The attacker then set off what appeared to be a smoke bomb or teargas bomb.

One witness, Hayden Miller, told Denver's 9News he was in an adjoining cinema when he heard "10-20 shots" and "small explosions".

"We heard people screaming," Mr Miller said.

He said a voice then came over the PA system and "told us to get out".

"Everyone was running, screaming," he said.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Britain's Sky News that "a lot of people thought the gunshots were part of the movie."

"They heard what they thought were firecrackers," she added, citing witnesses. "Then they saw the bullets flying."

Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told AP: ``The scene is still very active and we have little information for release at this time.''

Swedish Medical Centre spokeswoman Nicole Williams said two people injured at the theatre had arrived at the hospital in critical condition.

She told AP emergency workers had said there could be several more patients.

The shooting happened in cinema 9 of the complex.

Witnesses also reported hearing explosions.

The bomb squad is also on the scene.

Aurora, a suburb of Denver, is not far from Littleton, scene of the Columbine High School massacre in 1999 that claimed 13 lives.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 dead, over 50 injured - some by the smoke or CS or whatever he threw into the theatre. They caught the lunatic outside standing by his car, a lone nutter. Some speculation is that people may have mistaken the 6-year-old for a baby, but still chaos. I've been listening to the live stream because I lived in Denver for a couple of years after I got out of the Army.

Denver is an affluent city, but I thought it was a bit strange. The problem is that most of the population of the state of Colorado lives in that one big city. Not many folks in the east or west of the state.

Thanks Flash - I thought there was a second major population centre in Boulder, but I really dont know anything about CO, unfortunately, beyond the hokey images John Denver doled out with his tunes.

Bolder is a relatively small town that is the home of the University of Colorado. Some really strange folks populate that little community.

If you want to watch, all of the Denver TV stations are streaming the situation live.

<< The suspect, James Holmes, 24, of Aurora, was caught by police in the parking lot of the Century 16 Movie Theaters, nine miles outside Denver, after police began receiving dozens of 911 calls at 12:39 a.m. MT. Police said the man appeared to have acted alone.

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.

She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said.

"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado." >>

My link

Boulder is best known for blowing away periodically. The mountains funnel the wind into the town, and it rips up fences and leaves them looking like boardwalks. I remember visiting my mother's friend there and seeing their entire fence laid out flat on the ground.

p.s. John Denver was a GI brat who was born in Oklahoma and lived every place except Denver. His real name was John Deutschendorf. :p

Archived