14 Dead At Batman Premiere In Colorado

gobbledonk

Latest seems to be that he left a booby-trapped apartment for the cops to break into - clearly a young man with a lot of time on his hands. The part I dont get is why he didn't top himself - surely being captured wasnt part of the plan ? I'm sure the cops would have obliged if he had wanted to go out in a blaze of gunfire - would have saved taxpayers a lot of money on his trial and your endless appeals process while he sits on death row for 20 odd years.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-98-0-86448100-1342827800.jpg

<< In New York, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, who said he had been briefed on the case, said the suspect had dyed his hair red and had told police he was the Joker, Batman's infamous nemesis. "It clearly looks like a deranged individual," Mr Kelly said. >>

<< On Friday afternoon, police were still working to identify the dead, 10 of whose bodies still lay inside the cinema.

One woman known to have been killed was Jessica Ghawi, also known as Jessica Redfield, an aspiring broadcaster and a prolific blogger.

In June, Ms Ghawi, 24, narrowly missed being caught in a shooting rampage in Toronto, leaving the scene five minutes before a man opened fire at the Eaton Centre shopping mall. >>

OK I'll be the first to state the bleeding obvious.

Yes, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

But the combination of the two is far too easy to bring together in USA.

Until USA introduces stricter gun control, these incidents will continue and probably increase now that nutters have greater access to instant infamy through the net and media.

up2u

Good old Rush Limbaugh has been giving a lot of attention to

the Batman movie.....

seems he thought it was sending out a left wing message.

Should be interesting if this chap listens to Rush.

...and while we're on the subject of nutters and Rush's conspiracy theory.

The character Bane, who first appeared in comic-book form in 1993, was also featured in one previous Batman film, "Batman & Robin." His inclusion in the "The Dark Knight Rises" was announced early in 2011, at which point Mitt Romney was just one of many Republicans vying for his party's nomination.

:beer:

OK I'll be the first to state the bleeding obvious.

Yes, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

But the combination of the two is far too easy to bring together in USA.

Until USA introduces stricter gun control, these incidents will continue and probably increase now that nutters have greater access to instant infamy through the net and media.

up2u

It's too late for that - even if they enacted really tight laws tomorrow (which Washington simply cant do without tearing up the Constitution, apparently), there are more guns than people in the US. Can you imagine if China or Russia released the same statistic for their respective populations ?

My father gave me a pair of matched, cased Colt derringers one Christmas (collectors' items, never to be fired). That was in Denver. I had to wait nearly a month, while the police ran nationwide checks on me to see if I had any offences or any other reason to deny me owning firearms.

James Holmes, the Batman butcher, bought his firearms legally in Colorado. The police background check showed no reason he shouldn't be allowed them. His only contact with the police had been a traffic ticket. He seemed to be a responsible medical student at a respected university. No way to tell he was about to go absolutely barmy and homicidal.

Having said that, I don't know why the hell ordinary citizens should be allowed to buy an AR-15 or semi-auto AK-47. They are military weapons - not meant for hunting or target shooting, but designed for war. I was amazed when I visited home from Thailand an saw shops selling weapons that we were not allowed to bring home when captured in South Vietnam. Give me an AR-15 or an AK-47 and a file, and I'll hand you a fully automatic weapon in minutes!

It's too late for that - even if they enacted really tight laws tomorrow (which Washington simply cant do without tearing up the Constitution, apparently), there are more guns than people in the US. Can you imagine if China or Russia released the same statistic for their respective populations ?

Easy peasy.

They managed it in Oz after loony Bryant murdered 35 in Tasmania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

My mate got several of his weapons pulverized in the police mangle. Any Joe Blow used to be able to buy a gun by mail-order in Oz 20 years ago...patent madness. One of the few things Jackboot Johnny Howard did that I applaud.

Use a buyback and an amnesty period to hand in weapons, before hefty penalties.

Of course, you’re never going to get rid of every illegal weapon, and some farmers with legal ones go crazy too. But with strict control laws the likes of Bryant and Holmes (and all the nutters who will surely follow) would not find it so easy to commit such atrocities. We all get angry at times but if your only weapons are a knife or a baseball bat, the casualties tend to be less.

I believe the bit in the US constitution is a clear anachronism written in a completely different era with the USA still nervous about being recolonised. I’ll leave that to Chocolate Steve to clarify.

I feel very sorry for the victims and their loved ones, but basically not my problem. up2u Americans.

Never say never, Gobble

Stir fry these in your mental wok (apologies to Gus in Drop the Dead Donkey)

ïŠ

“It always seems impossible until it’s done.†- Nelson Mandela

“To believe a thing impossible is to make it so.†- French Proverb

“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.†- Christopher Reeve

“We have more power than will; and it is often by way of excuse to ourselves that we fancy things are impossible.†- Francois Duc De la Rochefoucauld

“Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done.†- Robert A. Heinlein

“Impossible only means that you haven’t found the solution yet.†- Anonymous

“The difficult is what takes a little time; the impossible is what takes a little longer.†- Fridtjof Nansen

“Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.†- Marcus Aurelius

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.†- Vince Lombardi

“Every noble work is at first impossible.†- Thomas Carlyle

“There is nothing impossible to him who will try.†- Alexander the Great

“Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done.†- Louis D. Brandeis

“The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.†- Arnold Palmer

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.†- Dale Carnegie

My father gave me a pair of matched, cased Colt derringers one Christmas (collectors' items, never to be fired). That was in Denver. I had to wait nearly a month, while the police ran nationwide checks on me to see if I had any offences or any other reason to deny me owning firearms.

James Holmes, the Batman butcher, bought his firearms legally in Colorado. The police background check showed no reason he shouldn't be allowed them. His only contact with the police had been a traffic ticket. He seemed to be a responsible medical student at a respected university. No way to tell he was about to go absolutely barmy and homicidal.

Having said that, I don't know why the hell ordinary citizens should be allowed to buy an AR-15 or semi-auto AK-47. They are military weapons - not meant for hunting or target shooting, but designed for war. I was amazed when I visited home from Thailand an saw shops selling weapons that we were not allowed to bring home when captured in South Vietnam. Give me an AR-15 or an AK-47 and a file, and I'll hand you a fully automatic weapon in minutes!

>> The police background check showed no reason he shouldn't be allowed them.

I'll tell you why he shouldn't be allowed them....In a peaceful, stable democracy WTF does a medical student, whose apartment is not plagued by foxes attacking his chooks, need a gun for?

Archived