14 Dead At Batman Premiere In Colorado

gobbledonk

US politicians - GOP and Dems - live in constant fear of the NRA. If you are planning to tighten the gun law just for tiny bit they will try to destroy our career.

Funny fact: Even though Obama did not do _anything_ to tighten the gun laws, the NRA and connected gun lobbyists see him as enemy no 1. The pro gun guys are so paranoid, that since Obama became president gun sales have exploded.

By the way, because of the upcoming election gun sales are going through the roof again, just out of fear that Obama might be reelected.

This says a lot about the psyche of the average conservative American...

PS: It is a well known fact that thousands of those military grade assault weapons show up in the hands of Mexican cartels and US gangs. Of course the NRA does not see this as a problem.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I belonged to the NRA long ago. I quit because it was getting so bizarre. Like so many organisations, the wackos seemed to be taking over.

Meanwhile, back in Aurora:

<< Authorities said that after rigorous efforts earlier Friday, they will on Saturday resume their attempt to enter Holmes’ apartment, which Oates said appears to be filled with “wires, trip wires, jars full of ammunition, jars full of liquid and things that look like mortar rounds.â€

“I personally have never seen anything like what the pictures show us is in there,†Oates said. >>

My link

>> The police background check showed no reason he shouldn't be allowed them.

I'll tell you why he shouldn't be allowed them....In a peaceful, stable democracy WTF does a medical student, whose apartment is not plagued by foxes attacking his chooks, need a gun for?

:beer:

If it wasn't for not being allowed to carry a gun into certain businesses, government building, etc.

I would be carrying all the time every day.

I hate taking off my concealed gun just to go into a building.

When I come out, I sometimes forget to rearm.

Why be armed?

If everybody who was an adult was armed in the theater in Colorado

I suspect the death count would have been lower.

:rotl: :rotl: :rotl:

with all respect, but that is a very idiotic reasoning.......

BB

have to agree.

in a darkened cinema not knowing where the original shooter was would have become chaos,people just pulling guns and firing away away at what they thought was the original shooter in all directions.

confusion would have been a major factor in this case.

If the suspect had thought that many in the theater were armed, that might have given him pause to go ahead with his plan. Once he went through with the plan, having many people firing guns would have make the outcome many times worse. I don't think that it is a coincident that these mass shootings happen in areas of the country that have liberal gun laws. On the other hand, having lived in the Boston area for a year in the early 1970's, there is no way I would want to live in the New England, New York, or Washington D.C. area.

robaus, I think you completely underestimate the power of the gun lobby in the US, and the extent to which their prosperity has been forged by the force of arms. The message has been clear long before 9/11 - fuck with the US and we will fuck with you. I agree with Flash - what does Joe Public need with an assault rifle - but clearly there are some very powerful corporations behind the sale of all that hardware.

On the point re 'an armed society is a polite society', does that work when alcohol and mental illness enter the picture ? Would you be happy to sit in a bar in Thailand knowing that half the customers, and most of the Thai staff, were carrying concealed pistols ? How about a crowded nightclub with lots of inadvertent jostling, drinks being spilt etc ? I've already seen one Thai guy stagger from a club with blood all over his shirt - dont need to see any more.

And, finally, on to the theatre. The guy allegedly threw some sort of tear gas or smoke bomb to make it even harder for anyone to fight back - the coward even wore a bulletproof vest - even if the entire theatre had been armed, what are the odds that they would have bought him down firing blindly in all that panic vs the odds of them shooting one another ? The deterrent effect - potentially a good point, but it's clear that this guy had no plans to escape. The booby-trapped apartment, the timer designed to start loud music and attract cops, the fact that he didnt even get in the car and try to drive off - somewhere in there, his fantasy world clearly dissolved and he found himself in a car park wonder what the fuck he had just done. Thats the only explanation I can come up with - a similar thing happened to Martin Bryant, an even more cold-blooded killer found cowering under a car pleading for the cops not to shoot him. Bryant was a man who, according to an eyewitness, walked calmly to a tree and shot the child cowering behind it. It sickens me that our tax dollars allow him to continue stealing oxygen from the humans on this planet.

robaus, I think you completely underestimate the power of the gun lobby in the US, and the extent to which their prosperity has been forged by the force of arms. The message has been clear long before 9/11 - fuck with the US and we will fuck with you. I agree with Flash - what does Joe Public need with an assault rifle - but clearly there are some very powerful corporations behind the sale of all that hardware.

On the point re 'an armed society is a polite society', does that work when alcohol and mental illness enter the picture ? Would you be happy to sit in a bar in Thailand knowing that half the customers, and most of the Thai staff, were carrying concealed pistols ? How about a crowded nightclub with lots of inadvertent jostling, drinks being spilt etc ? I've already seen one Thai guy stagger from a club with blood all over his shirt - dont need to see any more.

And, finally, on to the theatre. The guy allegedly threw some sort of tear gas or smoke bomb to make it even harder for anyone to fight back - the coward even wore a bulletproof vest - even if the entire theatre had been armed, what are the odds that they would have bought him down firing blindly in all that panic vs the odds of them shooting one another ? The deterrent effect - potentially a good point, but it's clear that this guy had no plans to escape. The booby-trapped apartment, the timer designed to start loud music and attract cops, the fact that he didnt even get in the car and try to drive off - somewhere in there, his fantasy world clearly dissolved and he found himself in a car park wonder what the fuck he had just done. Thats the only explanation I can come up with - a similar thing happened to Martin Bryant, an even more cold-blooded killer found cowering under a car pleading for the cops not to shoot him. Bryant was a man who, according to an eyewitness, walked calmly to a tree and shot the child cowering behind it. It sickens me that our tax dollars allow him to continue stealing oxygen from the humans on this planet.

Ask the girl/woman whose forehead got burnt from spent bullets.....

If she had a gun would she have used it?

Personal choice.

When the government says you do not have the right to defend yourself.........

I think a good wake-up call is needed.

Archived