New Opera Version Not Playing Nice With T360

Wallenda

Hi,

Still don't really see this happening. And of course comparing PC/Windows vs Mac/OSX/iOS is a bit like apples and oranges.

Comparing PC/Windows vs Mac/OSX or Android vs iOS makes a lot more sense.

Sanuk!

KS,

10.9.1 OSX is released next week, it is closer to IOS Apple are trying to integrate all devices via cloud, I prefer OSX for its seamless synchronization, I can record an appointment on my iPad and when home it auto Sync with my Macbook Pro, My iPhone, our lasses Macbook Air and iPhone (she stole both off me) and backs up to my time capsule.

I agree that the desktop will still be the workhorse but how many people use a PC or Mac for their day to day activities? I would put it at less than 15% I have not owned a desktop for over 2 years now and it is very rare that I fire up the Macbook.

Modern day Information is all mobile, I read a report earlier this week that in China Smart Phones amount for 52% of web access, it is accessible to the masses.

Put OSX / IOS in one bracket (Unix) and Android in another (Linux), as I said OSX is merging to IOS plus they have dropped the prefix MAC!

I am an old fart and prefer UNIX over LINUX, admittedly not many people are as deep as we are into OS.

FFS - why isnt this in Technology ? :angryfire:

Actually the thread got off topic, it was originally supposed to be about how the forum isn't working right with Opera's latest version now. And ok yes I do realize General Discussion probably isn't the right place for that topic either.

Back to the OS discussion, I dont' think this shift is anything we should be rooting for. The move towards apps (which dominate on Apple devices) takes the wind out of the sails of the every-man style of the web, where anyone can have a website. Instead it becomes about who can program and then promote their app, which is not something the little guys out there can do. The entry bar is much higher than for websites. Blogs, forums and small independent sites become a thing of the past in favor of 'services' put out by companies. It's an internet killer.

I have an iphone. I don't like looking at websites through it, or checking email with it. Because of the tiny screen and interface, it makes you not want to really read anything that's a bit long or has any depth to it (it's too tedious) and likewise not want to write anything other than short text-message type emails (typing is a pain in the ass in comparison to real keyboards). On a website, you just want to see a stripped down version of what you would see on a computer, no clutter. They simplify everything to fit the device. So overall, everything gets dumbed down.

Archived