New Email Service By Microsoft "outlook.com"

kamui

Just out of beta MS's new email service:

www.outlook.com

- beautiful design

- unlimited storage !!!

- direct connection to Facebook and Twitter

e.g.

Old hotmail accounts can be moved to outlook.com in an instant.

Since the service is new many interesting email addresses are available.

Review at All Things D

http://allthingsd.co...ts-outlook-com/

Is this not just Hotmail in a new wrapper?

Oh, yes, seems to be so. Very blue at first.

I guess the SM integration is a new thing but otherwise just another mail service. Well at least I can get a few cool email addresses.

thanks for sharing

can you download receiving mails into MS Outlook and send e-mail from there?

Obviously Outlook.com supports Pop3 but not IMAP. Also they write in their options, that if you use POP you won't see the email online anymore. That doesn't make any sense.

Also it might be, that you can only use one mail client (not two like your desktop PC and your smartphone).

That's rather weak and it means I will use outlook only as an online service for secondary purpose, because of interesting addresses (which I will set to being forwarded to Gmail) . It's unusable with email clients for the time being.

http://blogs.indepen...es-outlook-com/

No IMAP Support

Sadly Outlook.com lacks IMAP support, which will no doubt dissapoint many users who prefer IMAP over traditional POP3 support. For those who wish to sync their mail between a desktop client and Outlook.com, it looks like you’ll need to be a little more patient.

Conclusion

All in all the new Outlook.com service is a very serious contender to Gmail. The clean design and attention to detail make it a tempting choice, however it falls at the final hurdle due to a lack of IMAP support.

One of my email addresses is now zen4dummies@outlook.com. I upgraded Office Outlook to Outlook 10 some time ago and do not like it but have not taken the time to go back to Outlook 7. I have 3 email addresses besides @outlook.com. Gmail can collect the POP email accounts and hopefully Outlook.com will be able to do the same. Maybe this will be a more basic email solution.

zen

• 2 weeks later...

I just lost my Hotmail home page.

Be carefull when you click on that link above. If you have Hotmail.

I clicked on link and a screen came up and stateed "Welcome to Outlook Mail".

And no way to turn this back to Hotmail.

Archived