Iphone 5, First Impression

kamui

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Canon man I've no idea about the Nikon D300 but to compare it to an iphone is shear stupidity. Clearly Mr Baa knows absolutely nothing about cameras or photography! :shakehead

The iphone 5 has as very good _phone_ camera.

Consumer Reports (which had been highly critical of the iPhone 4) says:

excluding the phenomenal 41-megapixel camera we tested on the Nokia 808, the iPhone 5's 8-megapixel camera is the best we've seen on a smart phone.

But the if you hold the camera in the sun there seems to be a problem with purple flare: http://www.macrumors...phone-5-photos/

I have had mine now for about 5 days and it is faster, noticeably so, lighter, and the camera is much much better. (I have not seen this purple haze baa posts. But i doubt he has seen it either.)

However, the battery power is much less if (and I emphasize IF) you have a few functions turned on. The big one is "location services" (settings: privacy; location services)

If you look, the default is to have every app you use that wants to know your location is turned on here. For some like maps, compass, urban spoon, that kind of really need this info to work right, this makes sense. For others like Angry Birds, I have no idea why they would even care.

Anyway, apparently all of these will keep "checking in" to see where you are. I disabled all but about four that need it and that I use like Google Earth and weather. Battery performance shot up about 50%, which is saying something.

And back to the camera, here is a photo I took two days ago of my "backyard." I reduced it for the forum, but it is simply astounding how good this thing is.

post-16995-0-91390700-1349668348.jpg

best we've seen on a smart phone

Which points to what Munch and I say- good camera for a (smart) phone. Incomparable IMO to any current DSLR on the market.

Corinthinan's photo may be ok for a phone camera but take the same or similar photo with a good DSLR and lens and it would be a lot sharper. There's a reason DSLR's are so much bigger than an iphone - it takes a lot of mechanics, mirrors and *stuff* to make a nice shot taken with an iphone and make it an awesome photo worthy of hanging on the wall.

Here's a pretty ordinary photo taken with a pretty ordinary lens - but it still IMO takes better pics than any phone.

7bef25d.jpg

best we've seen on a smart phone

Which points to what Munch and I say- good camera for a (smart) phone. Incomparable IMO to any current DSLR on the market.

Corinthinan's photo may be ok for a phone camera but take the same or similar photo with a good DSLR and lens and it would be a lot sharper. There's a reason DSLR's are so much bigger than an iphone - it takes a lot of mechanics, mirrors and *stuff* to make a nice shot taken with an iphone and make it an awesome photo worthy of hanging on the wall.

Very true. Comparing the two is like comparing a LED to a spot light.

Archived