Iphone 5, First Impression

kamui

best we've seen on a smart phone

Which points to what Munch and I say- good camera for a (smart) phone. Incomparable IMO to any current DSLR on the market.

Corinthinan's photo may be ok for a phone camera but take the same or similar photo with a good DSLR and lens and it would be a lot sharper. There's a reason DSLR's are so much bigger than an iphone - it takes a lot of mechanics, mirrors and *stuff* to make a nice shot taken with an iphone and make it an awesome photo worthy of hanging on the wall.

Here's a pretty ordinary photo taken with a pretty ordinary lens - but it still IMO takes better pics than any phone.

7bef25d.jpg

I found that with my DSLR it has great battery life but the phone performance sucks. I haven't yet found the Nikon app store either so don't know how Angry Birds plays on it yet. Pictures are not bad though.

The 2 crucial bits that make that DSLR soooo much better at taking pictures are the sensor size and the lens. But given how big they are I'm really surprised they don't all come with a built in phone.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2 crucial bits that make that DSLR soooo much better at taking pictures are the sensor size and the lens. But given how big they are I'm really surprised they don't all come with a built in phone.

The table below shows the vast difference in size between various camera sensors.

The yellow one is the iphone sensor whereas the red and blue ones are your typical (not full frame) Canon and Nikon DSLR sensors.

digital_sensor-sizes.png

The table below shows the vast difference in size between various camera sensors.

The yellow one is the iphone sensor whereas the red and blue ones are your typical (not full frame) Canon and Nikon DSLR sensors.

digital_sensor-sizes.png

That shows it very well and takes only a little thought with that picture to realise why 6 million pixels in a sensor the size of the red or blue rectangles can make a picture better than a camera having 8 million pixels in a sensor the size of the yellow rectangle. Photography is all about capturing light and the bigger the sensor the more light you capture, simple physics.

My camera of choice is a Nikon D40. I just can't make pictures better to justify anything more flash and I already have way too many expensive toys, cars, radios, women! Yet this still blows away any camera phone naturally enough, now if only I could get the ringtone I want on it!

Archived