Australia In The Asian Century

gobbledonk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine how Madarin sounds with an Oz accent? :surprised:

Years ago I had a colleague with a heavy Texas drawl. His Thai was fairly fluent, but even so Thais would tell him, "Please speak English. We can't understand your Thai." :)

And we are back to what I said earlier about not being able to understand some of the Scots and Irish folk. We must have been lucky back in the 80s and 90s - the Irish I ran into had lilting, delightful accents and werent hard to understand - but lately we have had truckloads of them come to town looking for jobs and those accents are bloody impenetrable. We also have backpackers from Northern Europe, and they are much easier to understand than the Irish.

I suspect that many Europeans augment their English by watching a lot of American TV shows - to the point where some Swedes have an accent that sounds, to my ears, like the Amish. Understandable - my younger brother spent his formative years in front of 'Sesame St' and the local bus driver referred to him as 'that little Canadian boy' ...... :shocked:

You mean English?

No I mean the attitude and approach, more the Asian style "Let's smile and nod our heads in agreement at all this anti corruption stuff then we can bugger off and get down to doing the deal and being successful regardless". The business of business is business type stuff. the lingo of Asian business rather than any specific tongue.

Of course it's in feckin English :evilpumpkin: , not gonna be in Chinese or Spanish or Martian. So another language is always going to be useful and probably more so in the future but only in focused areas of endeavour.

Doing business in Japan must be 'interesting' for teetotallers who like to be in bed by midnight .... :stirthepo

Tokyo businessmen must take the cake for their ability to burn the candle at both ends. Difficult to imagine how that can continue for another 50 or so years without humans developing the ability to survive on 10 hours sleep. Per week. :yikes:

Archived