Australia In The Asian Century

gobbledonk

My link

We've been down this road before - the tourism industry wanted all our kids to learn Japanese back in the 80s - but this time its serious. Apparently. ;)

I doubt that there is a country on the planet that doesn't want a slice of the emerging middle-class in China, but this latest 'initiative' is interesting in terms of the focus on Indonesia and a push to reinvigorate Asian languages in our schools. Indonesian has been taught in Aussie schools for many years, but if you look at the cost-cutting in Australian universities over the last decade its clear that Arts degrees just havent been paying the rent. Singaporeans don't spend money to send their kids here to major in 'Asian Studies' ....

Getting back to the focus on Indonesia, it's particularly interesting given that so much of our military planning has been based on the concept of Indonesians as 'the enemy' and that has extended to various exchanges between Canberra and Jakarta over the last 50 years. Our tabloid press has been happy to demonise the Indonesians at every opportunity and I don't see that changing simply because of a 'government initiative'. This aint Sillypore, mate .... :evilpumpkin:

(they had some clown on telly yesterday droning on about how much better it would be for anyone looking to do business in Asia to 'speak the language'. Of course, he didnt say exactly which language that might be, or the fact that said business people might be in Shanghai one day, HK the next and Taipei the day after. All Chinese people - I'm sure they all speak Mandarin, right ? Right ....)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More talking heads on telly tonite navel gazing about this - the shock jocks had a field day with it this morning. Seems it was OK for me to be forced to learn Latin and French for a year, but its not OK for kids to be 'forced' to try Mandarin/Hindi/Indonesian/Japanese. I wish them luck finding enough qualified teachers ....

We are a xenophobic British outpost at the wrong end of the globe, but what I find interesting is how quickly many immigrants take on the same 'fortress' mentality - I put the blame squarely on our media, our isolation and our school system.

I think English will be the lingua franca for international business for a long time to come.

I know a Lao, who and whose colleagues, deal daily with the Chinese, they all speak English together, this, despite them sharing a common border and compatible political philosophy.

I think English will be the lingua franca for international business for a long time to come.

I know a Lao, who and whose colleagues, deal daily with the Chinese, they all speak English together, this, despite them sharing a common border and compatible political philosophy.

:yeahthat:

English is the most worst spoken language of the world......

Common border ?

2 weeks ago playing a bridgetournament in another club, table next to us are 2 Dutch ladies playing 2 guys from Brussels, and yes, all in English :(

Shame on all of them.......

BB

Archived