Hamas

Guest baldrick

BB

how is this even handed?

<<According to some prominent posters here, its all quite simple really......

- jews / Israelis / zionists = velly velly bad people, killing thieving liars

- Hamas = innocent victimised angels who never did any wrong>>

I actually respect LP and Unit 731, at least their not "pretending" to be even handed, they are blatant in choosing the side they support.

You on the other hand cry "FOUL - I am being misrepresented"

<<Redbaron,

See what I mean ?

I didnt even argue for one side or the other, but I already gave "misleading information" LOL

BB>>

Hmmmmm - wallowing in it aren't you, at least be honest,

LP - a while back you said would Australia give back a square inch to Aboriginals?

I am happy to say yes just a few weeks back.

Very proud to see this happen.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/aborignal-people-win-native-title-for-north-stradbroke-island.htm

After a 16-year battle, the local Aboriginal people have been given Native Title for North Stradbroke Island, QLD.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/jinibara-people-win-on-southeast-queensland-land-20121120-29new.html

Jinibara people win on southeast Queensland land

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/cape-crusader-wins-land-fight/story-e6freoof-1226364036460

November 20, 2012

The Jinibara people have won native title rights to more than 700 square kilometres of land in southeast Queensland in an historic court judgment.

Sitting in Woodford, north of Brisbane, the Federal Court on Tuesday approved a consent determination giving the Jinibara non-exclusive rights to the land.

The site stretches from the Blackall, Conondale and D'Aguilar ranges to parts of the Sunshine Coast and the Brisbane river. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/cape-crusader-wins-land-fight/story-e6freoof-1226364036460 23 May 2012 – Cape York crusader Martha Koowarta wins land rights battle

•  

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something I'd like to know. How large (if any) of each side really doesn't want a peace. How many in Israel really don't want any sort of Palestinian state next to them. Conversely, how many Palestinians have an 'all or nothing' mindset with regards to Israel. That if they do get a Palestinian state they'd look over the border and always long for that land that they consider theirs by right.

..sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I do recall at about the time of Clinton’s serious Camp David peace talks 12 years ago, the majority of Israelis and Palestinians were in favour of a peace agreement and full mutual recognition. Extremists on both sides of the border then proceeded to wreck the pollsters’ offices!

In the 2000 poll the Palestinians were quite optimistic about peace

• Chances for Reconciliation and Lasting Peace in a Scenario of Successful Negotiations:
    1. 75% support or strongly support the process of reconciliation between the two peoples

2. 85% support or strongly support open borders between Palestine and Israel

3. 71% support or strongly support joint Palestinian-Israeli economic institutions and ventures

4. 31% support or strongly support joint political institutions leading to an Israeli-Palestinian confederation

5. 38% support or strongly support taking legal measures against incitement

6. 10% support or strongly support adopting school curriculum that recognizes Israel and teaches children not to demand return of all Palestine to the Palestinians

7. 41% would invite an Israeli colleague to visit at home and 41% would visit an Israeli colleague at his home

8. 36% believe that reconciliation is not possible ever, 23% believe it is possible in ten years

9. 44% believe that the majority of Israelis believes that reconciliation is not possible ever and that 18% believe it is possible in ten years

10. 35% believe that a lasting peace is possible or definitely possible between Israelis and Palestinians; 60% believe it to be impossible or definitely impossible

11. 66% believe that the majority of Israelis does not believe that a lasting peace is possible; 24% believe it does

Anyway, a lot of water under the bridge since then, with the rise of Likud and Hamas.

The latest I could find by Googling is this http://www.pcpsr.org.../p45ejoint.html

September 2012 survey..other interesting stuff there re Iran too..

(Attitudes and expectations regarding the peace process

Majorities among Israelis (73%) and Palestinians (71%) view the chances for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state next to Israel
in the next five years as low or non-existent

A majority of 61% Israelis and 52% of Palestinians supports a two-state solution, while 36% of Israelis and 46% of Palestinians oppose it. However 50% of Israelis and 57% of Palestinians think that the two-state solution is bound to fail because of the settlements; 47% of Israelis and 37% of Palestinians think the two-state solution is still relevant. At the same time, majorities among Israelis (65%) and among Palestinians (68%) oppose the one state solution in which Arabs and Jews enjoy equality; 31% of Israelis and 30% of Palestinians support this solution.

As we do periodically in our joint polls, we asked Israelis and Palestinians about their readiness for a mutual recognition of identity as part of a permanent status agreement and after all issues in the conflict are resolved and a Palestinian State is established.
Our current poll shows that 62% of the Israeli public supports such a mutual recognition and 30% oppose it. Among Palestinians, 44% support and 54% oppose this step.
In June 2012, 53% of the Israelis supported and 43% opposed this mutual recognition of identity; among Palestinians, 43% supported and 55% opposed this step.

Interesting, if somewhat pessimistic results… I suppose as hostile incidents increase, people on both sides entrench themselves into more negative camps. But attitudes are malleable... that's up to the politicians and global pressure.

I don’t know the credentials of this outfit (PSR - Survey Research Unit: Joint Palestinian Israeli Press release), but they seem legit, and a poll is just a poll as we discovered in the recent US elections... there’s only one that really counts. But at least it’s an attempt to find out what people are really thinking rather than just hearsay.

There have been 45 polls since 2000.. about 4 per year, reflecting how attitudes change.

After travelling over half the countries in the world (my passion), I am convinced that most families simply want to live peaceful lives, with plenty of food and work, so that their children can have a better future. I believe that every single war is caused by politicians getting it wrong, pandering to the extremist warmongering elements in their electorate, then offering too little too late... rather than a broader foresight to head off problems that create hostilities before they fester.

When Netanyahu announced the recent ceasefire, 70% of Israelis wanted the fighting to continue.

But hopefully attitudes can be changed. I hope Obama can offer both sides a huge incentive for peace.....10 times as many Iron Dome defences, huge $$$ from a global reconstruction fund, full Arab League recognition, massive compensation for Palestinian refugees, possibility of eventual EU membership etc etc

One thing is for certain: the geographic reality that Israel and the Arab countries in one form or another will be neighbours for eternity. So for the politicians should stop mucking about and deal with that reality and negotiate a peace that both sides will respect.

Meanwhile PA’s Abbas has said he will push for a vote on the recognition of Palestine as a "non-member observer state" at the United Nations on Thursday. If it is approved - as it expected to be - it will improve the Palestinians' chances of joining UN agencies and the International Criminal Court (ICC).

Israel and the US have threatened financial penalties if the Palestinians press ahead with the UN bid, saying the only way to achieve an independent state is through negotiations [which have been going on fruitlessly for 45 years now!]

Russia and China are playing similar political games across the border in Syria where yesterday 10 children were killed by cluster bombs in a school playground!...disgusting!

All I know is that what happened over the last few weeks is an obscenity that must end one way or another. I know for sure war is not the answer..only creates bitterness on both sides stored up for the next round of fighting.

As I wrote earlier, Palestinians should go down the passive resistance road using Facebook, Twitter, Youtube to broadcast their daily humiliating treament in order to shame Israel (and the US and other western countries who stick their heads in the sand) into sitting down to seriously negotiate peace.

:beer:

Gee can't you guys take the TRUTH?

You want Cav to back up his claims etc, and prove him wrong with shonky web sites, but when someone does the SAME thing to your ideas, well, their a TROLL?

Hmmm - sorry no negatives from me,

I don't see the "side" that says it's unfair supporting killing of innocent people, just disproving continually shonky web sites.

Sad really that you dislike of some parts of humanity are just so racist and dissolve into name calling.

But I'd be proud to be called a Palestinian, who by the way include a decent number of Christian Palestinians among their population.

Isn't this so pathetic!

Britain [the colonial power who caused the whole problem in the first place with the Balfour Declaration] has signalled it could vote yes to Palestine's new UN status, providing Palestinian officials promise not to use the new upgraded status to join the International Criminal Court and pursue war crimes charges against Israel.

Bugger the pursuit of the truth and other noble causes. UK is petrified what the US might think, and the US is petrified what Israel might think.

Meanwhile downunder Julia Gillard almost lost her job as PM yesterday. She wanted to vote "no" to Palestine's new status. But the rest of her cabinet wanted a "yes" vote. They compromised on an abstention.

She's just lost my confidence.

Her decision wouldn't by any chance be anything to do with the bloke she shares her bed with every night could it, Tim Mathieson, who now works for Israeli lobbyist Albert Dadon.

A former Australian ambassador to Israel, Ross Burns, on Monday accused Ms Gillard of being silent on the ''excesses'' of Israel and questioned why Mr Mathieson had been given the job by Mr Dadon.

Anyway, at least the rest of her colleagues are braver than she is to stand up for what's right.

:beer:

Archived