Hamas

Guest baldrick

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Congo.

There are news reports of mass killings in the Congo.

LINK

Not much mention of genocide, starvation, fighting in Africa.

Why is that?

OK. This post is about Hamas.

From reading above there are differing views.

Apparently, reading above, any source of information is biased one side or the other.

Personalizing the discussion hinders the advancement of ideas.

Every punter here that I met at Gullivers was a good decent person. And probably give the shirt off his back if asked.

Yes, the meetings are not at Gullivers anymore. Got it. It's been awhile.

Unit - that's pretty reasonable, no matter what anyone "proves" it's up to the reader to make their own mind up what they believe, and of course we often read "news" that reflects all our own biases.

I was in Gullivers two nights ago, was pretty quite. I'd love to have the regular meetings back, I often suggest Sams 2000. It's not a gogo bar, good food and cheap, and in the middle of the action.

We used to hang out at a restaurant in a similar position in Nana Plaza.

I'll be at a wedding though this Friday. Thursday, tomorrow night, I am up to meeting anyone for a drink unless work goes nuts.

By the way, Africa is getting pretty good these days, most countries look like Asia 20 years ago, massive building projects, while on the governance side it is improving dramatically.

No one please take this the wrong way, but for a while Israel was suggested to be created within Uganda!

The Congo.

There are news reports of mass killings in the Congo.

LINK

Not much mention of genocide, starvation, fighting in Africa.

Why is that?

No much mention of the way even peace-loving Bhutanese mistreat Nepalese residents either. Every country has skeletons in the cupboard. You've got to start somewhere.

I hate all forms of social injustice, but there are limitations to what an individual can do. It’s a silly fallacy to say “Well, Israel may do some bad things, but what about the Congolese rebels?†Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I applaud when activists with knowledge of an injustice bring it to the attention of the world, and maybe move others who have got the power to do something about it. With awareness through social networks and the media maybe we can all get on the backs of the politicians to change things. True democracy...bottom up activism rather than top down governments once elected saying “Leave it all to us; we know best, mate†for the next 4 years. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

There was an ABC documentary here the other night about the appalling land evictions in Cambodia and corrupt cronyism. Many were simply imprisoned for protesting and their land taken anyway. Obama used US influence to get them released.

My special interest in the Middle East is a result of visiting the area several times over many years, and seeing the injustice first hand. I think peace there is doable... tantalizingly close in fact. Israelis regard themselves as civilised European types, and their main backer is democratic USA. Although there are extremist nutters amongst all the players (Palestinians too), I think that the majority once they become aware of the injustice are susceptible to social/global pressure. It may even be a major turning point in the UN today. Ex Aus PM Bob Hawke commented yesterday he was glad cabinet had changed its mind on a no vote and that he wouldn’t want to see Australia on the wrong side of history.

Not only that, it is such a protracted conflict, that when peace one day finally comes it will be a beacon of enlightenment to the world, a catalyst for change elsewhere also. ... and will send the stock market soaring too!

:beer:

I applaud when activists with knowledge of an injustice bring it to the attention of the world, and maybe move others who have got the power to do something about it. With awareness through social networks and the media maybe we can all get on the backs of the politicians to change things. True democracy...bottom up activism rather than top down governments once elected saying “Leave it all to us; we know best, mate†for the next 4 years. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

From a group I am on about Governance,

Subject: [governance] wikileaks' extra-judicial punishment

Interesting article about wikileaks, extra-judicial punishment and

prosecution/persecution of activist hackers:

http://www.guardian....nternet-freedom

And about the O'Dwyer's extradition fight:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/24/richard-o-dwyer-my-petition

From a group I am on about Governance,

Subject: [governance] wikileaks' extra-judicial punishment

Interesting article about wikileaks, extra-judicial punishment and

prosecution/persecution of activist hackers:

http://www.guardian....nternet-freedom

And about the O'Dwyer's extradition fight:

http://www.guardian....yer-my-petition

Thanks for the links, huumlaar. So much for democarcy and open government eh!

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know what the fuss is all about between the Israelies and Palestinians.

Jews were exiled thousands of years ago by invaders-the Babylonians, Greeks, Romans and who knows who else. They were taken out of their homeland as slaves in chains to the capitals of the invaders.

The "Palestinians" took over their homes and farms when the Jews went into exile.

2,000 years later the Jews are back from all over the globe and are claiming their homes back.

It's not like the Jews are invading a new country like Japan, China or even Thailand and settling on the lands its inhabitants. They are simply coming back to their ancestoral land and settling in their historical homes.

More power to them if they can hold on to it.

In 1948 some 800,000 Palestinians fled or were expelled from what is now Israel. At the same time about 800,000 Jews fled or were expelled from the Arab lands where they had lived for many centuries, with all of their property seized. The Arab states demand the Palestinians be allowed to return, but they have never once suggested they would let the Jew who fled return to their former homes.

Archived