This Perfect Little God Damn Digital Life.....

JaiRai

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure. Technology in just about all it's forms has made this planet better and safer than anything since the sun turned on.

Writting

Maps

Printing

Steam power

Radio

x-ray

Telephone

Antibiotics

Rocketry

Computers

Internet

Cell phone

Social Media

Smart phone

All of these (in about that order) have allowed us to advance. And just about every one of these was repudiated as an end of civilisation as we know it by nay sayers that can only exist and keep existing because of the advances before them. Just about every generation is frightened by the advances the next generation embraces.

So, yes, I call him a moron for that. No less because with out the internet that powers it all.... none of us would have even ever heard of him.

(How many of you recall parents yelling at their sisters to get off the phone? Sisters didn't... and the world went on just fine.)

You missed out Television from your list (Joking)

I hear what you are saying and agree that all advances in technology have brought mankind (and womankind can't be sexist) forward and have made our lives better but I do agree with his sentiments that people are now becoming slaves to mobile technology and Social Media has become an addiction and is a sep too far. Only last week I was out for dinner with a friend he spent 90% of the time on his smartphone updating his facebook profile, I just asked for the bill paid my 50% and left.

He called me the next day and asked me what had pissed me off and I told him, we arranged to have dinner together yet you spent most of the time online and ignoring me, I could not see the point in wasting my time sitting with you to which he replied "I HAD TO update my facebook status" No he did not HAVE TO, could he not have waited an hour and shown some social manners. Now as a recovering alcoholic and someone who weaned themselves of Drugs 30 years ago I can recognise the differance between requirement and addiction. Even up to 18 months ago I started the day with a glass of Vodka becuase "I NEEDED IT" no I did not need it I was just an Aloholic with an addiction who at the time was in denial and used the term NEED instead of ADDICT

This applies (IMHO) to many Facebook etc users today, they don't NEED to constantly update their profile but are in fact ADDICTED to it but are in denial of the fact. I admit I use LINKEDIN but I only log in for 15 Minutes Max per day usualy at the end of my Lunchbreak and that is it, if something is that important I will get an email or a Phone Call from people who are allowed to see my contact details, it is all about self control. Same with Alcohol, i don't claim to be teetotal I do enjoy the occassional glass of wine with a meal or maybe a couple of beers, I still visit bars occasionaly and may have 5-6 beers in one go, but usually about once a month not on a daily basis as I used to, it is all about moderation.

I am not a Luddite in fact quite the opposite I embrace technology, the Luddite movement started in Nottingham but gained it's stronghold in my Home City Manchester, all these machines will put us out of work complained the Luddites and used to break into factories and smash the machines, at one stage the UK Government had more troops trying to suppress the Luddites than they had fighting in the Napoleonic Wars, there was a lot of blood shed. Today the Social-Ecconomic phrase used is SBTC (Skill Based Technological Change) it has been going on since the start of the Industrial Revolution and will continue to do so, either one adapts or is left behind.

FFS I take my iPad everywhere with me, if I have made an appointment to meet someone and they are delayed (BKK Traffic is a Great Excuse) then hell I will sit there with headphones in catching up on a podcast or listening to some Music whilst browsing online newspapers etc, heavens forbid I may even waste some of my time on this forum, but as soon as my guest arrives the headphones are out and the iPad goes into it's bag where it remains for the duration.

I am not Anti Social Networking at all but everything has its time and place and if it interferes with face to face social interfacing then you are an addict. People who NEED to log onto Facebook over breakfast are just as bad as I used to be when I NEEDED a Vodka to start the day.

There is still an ongoing debate today as whether IAD (Internet Addiction Disorder) is a pshycological issue as described under Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) some shrinks are of the opinion that it is whereas others are of the opinion that it isn't. I am no Shrink and have never professed to be but if I am out in a social meeting and someone pulls out their Smartphone / Tablet and logs onto a Social Networking site, twittter or a Forum then they get the big "FUCK YOU" from me and I leave.

So whilst we agree in principle that there is nothing wrong with technological advances where we may disagree is to when it becomes an addiction, which is the point I think the author was trying to make in his article. As a reformed former addict to both Narcorics many years ago and Alcohol until 18 months ago I have not only seen the damage that can be caused by addiction but have also suffered the consequences of being addicted.

This is the reason why, in principle, I tend to agree with the majority of the points the Author was trying to put across but even I admit it was a badly written article and was non specific into the reasoning behind the basis of him coming up with his conclusion.

Thanks for your reply, I do prefer a reasonable debate than getting into a useless pissing contest.

This is why I like the "Do Not Disturb" function of IOS6, any number not in my contacts list is blocked but I do get an SMS saying XXXXXXXXX tried to contact you, save a lot of hassle.

Problem is many overseas numbers are connected via VOIP rather than the number in your contacts list, I think I have about 35 Thai based VOIP numbers now just listed as "Overseas" but to be honest most overseas contacts are using SKYPE now since SKYPE to SKYPE is free why waste money on an international call when I can have a VDO Conferance call for free?

You missed out Television from your list (Joking)

I hear what you are saying and agree that all advances in technology have brought mankind (and womankind can't be sexist) forward and have made our lives better but I do agree with his sentiments that people are now becoming slaves to mobile technology and Social Media has become an addiction and is a sep too far. Only last week I was out for dinner with a friend he spent 90% of the time on his smartphone updating his facebook profile, I just asked for the bill paid my 50% and left.

I find that as a failure of manners. Not slavery to teck. And his mother is to blame for not teaching him correctly.

Thanks for your reply, I do prefer a reasonable debate than getting into a useless pissing contest.

I always offer reasonable debate. I am pretty sure if you look at all my serious posts, I am never reactionary or rude unless being rude to. I always back up my posts if I see a reply or a question and am not afraid to change my mind. (Many others here however...)

Do you just post one line shit all the time in order to get your post count up?

Not all of the time but I am sure guilty sometimes.

But back to this post.

I do have luddite tendencies.

I admire people who can pick up any device and just start using it.

I have to read the manual. And I have a stack of manuals that have not been completely read yet.

I still haven't got over the fact that we are now in the 21st century.

Archived