In Asia, Rice Glut But Higher Prices

jon46

"Thais probably think Gillard is a cracker, white skin, hair not black..."

During my Peace Corps training, we'd sometimes ask our language intsructors which girl they thought was the prettiest. The Thais invariably named the one with blue eyes, pale blonde hair, and skin as white as snow. Never mind that she was shaped like a potato and had the disposition of a porcupine. She was SUAY ... :p

• 3 weeks later...

Other than the glut of stockpiles of rice that the (populist) scheme has generated, the smaller problem is building more warehouses to store the crops.

The bigger problem is loss of reputation: gangs and thugs, through corrupt officials, have imported junk rice from Cambodia and Laos for whatever little they could pay for it and sold it to the Government sponsored scheme at 15,000THB a tonne. That has polluted the stock. The buyers don't know what you are buying.

Finally, the biggest problem is: why buy now when every man and his dog know the Government will have to sell it at any price later.

Yingluck may be re-elected on the back of it but whole world is suffering rice price and rice quality war.

She tried to lower the price to 13,500THB but after the farmers' outrage she has backed out.

The government has managed to push up the price of rice domestically, affecting everyone. Even in the university canteen I've noticed the portions are getting smaller, with about 20% less rice these days. Taxi drivers have complained to me that they have to buy two plates of rice these days to feel full.

Archived