Syria Thread

acockasian

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using Somalia as a model?

Yeah, Somalia is a better example.

A complete breakdown of civil society in Syria would pretty much be the end of any real or imagined military threat to Israel from Syria. Countries that consist of warring factions are unlikely to have any sort of air force or army.

Foreign aid to Israel is dependent on a threat so there will always be one - like with the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq - whether there is or not.

The priority now is preventing Assad from using chemical weapons on his people, after that putting a stop to the fighting. All this easier said than done. I see the discussions on turning over the chemical weapons going nowhere fast, forcing Obama to put his money where his mouth is. Just don't see Obama going through with a strike on Assad's forces, resulting in his popularity dropping more.

Where this could really backfire is that Israel needs foreign aid and no country gives as much to Israel as the US does.

The danger for Israel is not in the Middle East but in the US economy. The Soviet Union collapsed when the US could so easily outspend it. Now the situations are reversed.

The Libertarian camp is strongly warning of a false flag attack to jump start this war - like the Likud Affair. I don't think the Syrians have ever attacked US interests before but Israel sure has.

PREDICTION: What I think will happen very quickly is for Russian troops to be in some way involved by helping to “inventory†or "secure " Syrian chemical weapons. Made very clear that any attack on Syria will kill Russian soldiers who are there to promote world peace and save the children of Syria by helping eliminate chemical weapons.

I think that would really discourage a US strike.

Hopefully we won't get in a war with Russia to support Al Qaida in a civil war in a country we have no interest in.

Maybe less stressful for you leave to Thailand, the Middle East, the wives of Middle Eastern leaders, politics, history, sex, finance and all other topics to others and bring your vast 35 years of experience to:

http://allrecipes.co...d-spinach-soup/

definitely a lot less stressfull for you if you stop telling me what to do altogether !

There's a key point that is getting very little air play.

The Syrian rebels HATE the idea of Assad surrendering his chemical weapons and putting them under international control.

I wonder why? Could it be because, if Assad actually does this, when the NEXT chemical weapon attack happens, everyone on the planet will know that it WASN'T Assad or his people who did it?

Archived