Anyone Else Looking Forward To Oct. 1 And Obamacare Sign Up?

dean

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've worked in healthcare for a major provider the last decade. The literally absurd amount of uninsured in America is an indictment of our own shortcomings and needs to be addressed.

That said - Obamacare is a mess and not congruent with existing infrastructure. It will be a mess for a long time.

It's gonna be ugly. So be it.

What would you consider "a long time?" One year, three years or a decade? I'm not old enough to remember when Medicare/Medicaid went into effect in 1965-66 (I was 12-13 at the time), but I assume that there were glitches along the way. Is it just the size of healthcare in the U.S. today that makes it certain that there will be major problems for a long time. I'm certain that Obama and the Democrats don't want these problems spilling over into the 2016 elections

I did consider putting it in the USA thread but decided on the Board Bar, where any topic is allowed. After all, there have been other U.S. topics that have stood on their own, notably gun shootings and some natural disasters, like Hurricane Sandy. If I offended either you or Mekong, please accept my sincerest regret. Besides, its much more fun for BM's to watch you and Mekong snipe at each other like two old lades than talk about the most important U.S. government program in at least the last 50 years.

It was actually impressive politicking on the part of Pelosi that she was able to finesse a coalition and was instrumental in pushing the thing through. That said - she blew her wad and won't be able to pull off anything of that magnitude again.

Dean, the honest answer is - I have no idea how long it will take to work the thing out so it reaches the level of efficiency of Medicare (if it ever does). The thing is massive and confusing and healthcare is worried. For instance, where I worked on contract and will likely resume come December -- is one of the largest HealthCare providers in California. Physicians in the clinic are overburdened and given 15 minutes per patient by appointment (most of the time this means they take paperwork home to complete charting and they aren't happy about it). They're trying to prepare for the change but in truth are a bit clueless what will happen if there is a large influx of new patients because the infrastructure quite simply isn't there to support it. Then there is the matter of reimbursement and how EXACTLY it's gonna work and everyone is confused. And that's just the clinics - hospitals are a bigger enigma.

Yeah, we need better healthcare and this is forcing it to happen which may be necessary - but - I don't know.... we'll see how it pans out.

Archived