Anyone Else Looking Forward To Oct. 1 And Obamacare Sign Up?

dean

Gobbledonk, the short answer to your question is that the "psycho gun nuts" tend to agree strongly with the Tea Party's central position, that we are Taxed Enough Already. They're far more likely to be willing to off a Democrat such as Nancy Pelosi. The people who agree strongly with YOUR position tend to believe quite strongly that private citizens should not ever have access to firearms, and usually (but not always) follow that philosophy in their private lives. As such, you are likely to find it very difficult to find a "psycho gun nut" who would be willing to off a Tea Party politician.

It becomes even more obvious if you look carefully, and notice that the current obstacle to progress is not the Tea Party, or the Republicans, but rather is the respected senior senator from Nevada, which is a long way from Texas, geographically, economically, and politically. The House sent him a clean CR with just one string. Congress, and the Congressional staff, would have to live within the confines of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and not get subsidies for their health insurance. The senior senator from Nevada considered that absolutely unacceptable.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gobbly, what happens to the rest of the world when the US economy crashes completely?

It doesn't have to 'crash completely' to hurt the world economy. What happens if they continue to default on their loan repayments ? I'll leave that one to the board economists - my Economics teacher was a boring prick and I'm afraid I spent the time staring out the window and wondering exactly what color panties Ms Heath was wearing that day. ~40 years on and little has changed ;)

Ms Heath, not MR Heath, Flasher ...

I'm sitting here in a blackout - laptop battery at 50% - thinking about what it would be like to have to survive a repeat of the Great Depression. My mother lived through the 30s as a child, but that generation never quite forgot what it meant to be able to 'make do', and she was one of the lucky ones out here in the bush where people could slaughter animals etc. It definitely breeds harder people - she never had a problem killing any of the family pets, be they food (we named several sheep 'Lambsie' and they all ended up in a light mint sauce) or simply another mouth to feed (more cats and dogs than I care to think about ended up in bags of rocks at the bottom of the dam). Of course, mention things like that to many Poms and you'll get the old Python skit about 'luxury, sheer luxury' - whatever the reality for others, I have no doubt that mum knew what it was to go hungry.

It's interesting that many of us, myself included, are often shocked by the callousness with which many Asians seem to view the suffering of animals, particularly animals kept in cages for slaughter at the markets, but perhaps we've simply never known real hunger. Let's pray it never comes to that.

Archived