Explosion Hits Bangkok Protests, Wounding Many

Wallenda

Why is that they're not paying these guys for their rice? About what percentage of farmers who were promised payments aren't getting them, anyone have any idea?

The idea was that they could force other countries to buy Thai rice at their price (a 40% mark up), something anyone with an IQ of zero could have told them wouldn't work. They kept buying even when they couldn't sell it, filling the warehouses to capacity and then some. They paid the farmers with vouchers redeemable at such and such date (sort of a fancy "IOU"). Problem is, they don't have the cash to redeem them and have defaulted repeatedly. The farmers are broke because of it and are sick of waiting.

p.s. Vietnam's government in recent years had been mounting a strong challenge to Thailand's position as #1 rice exporter, increasing the yield per hectare while at the same time reducing the cost by eliminating waste and reducing the amount of fertilizer. In the face of that, Pheu Thai boldly (and idiotically) decided to make Thai rice the most expensive on the international market! So guess who #1 is now. Thailand is only #3, even falling behind India. Well done, Pheu Thai. (Need I mention that the financial wizard Thaksin failed repeatdly in his early business ventures, until he gain a monoply on the Thai mobile phone service from his political friends? Warren Buffett he ain't. )

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope no coup, it is what Thakky wants. So he can play the misunderstood guy and the western govs will support him. Army knows this. They are waiting for the whole govt to be charged on the rice scheme I think.

I mentioned this before, the PT govnmt may trip up over the rice scheme and not because of Suthep cs

I don't think Thakky wants a coup - because many facets of that would go beyond his control. But honestly have no idea. People whose opinion I trust are predicting a coup soon. I lean that way but could be wrong. We shall see.

(Note - don't support Thaksin or Suthep, and no I ain't wishy-washy either). Where do I personally stand? Against Thaksin certainly, against Suthep also though. No hope for folks like me. :)

Anyway - if I were a Vegas bookie I'd take a bet against the coup and cover it. Could be wrong, but....

Police, troops set up checkpoints around rally sites

Checkpoints jointly manned by police and soldiers have been set up as part of increased security following a series of attacks targeting the anti-government protesters and their leaders.

National police chief Pol General Adul Sangsingkaew has ordered setting up of checkpoints and patrols during the day after many violent incidents, according to Pol Maj-General Anucha Romayanant, deputy spokesman for the government's Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO).

Anucha said the checkpoints would focus on foiling attempts to smuggle weapons into the protest areas to prevent further violence. The authorities were also working with leaders of the protest about boosting the security measures, he added.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Police-troops-set-up-checkpoints-around-rally-site-30224760.html

"Anucha said the checkpoints would focus on foiling attempts to smuggle weapons into the protest areas to prevent further violence"

Whereas before this statement, the checkpoints were not focussing on foiling attempts to smuggle weapons into the protest areas to prevent violence

Well done, Pheu Thai. (Need I mention that the financial wizard Thaksin failed repeatdly in his early business ventures, until he gain a monoply on the Thai mobile phone service from his political friends? Warren Buffett he ain't. )

gained...

but I agree 110%

:hubbahubba::grinyes::hubbahubba:

Army-police rift widens

RiftS between the police and the military appeared to be widening yesterday, as the Army commander in chief asked the national police chief to speed up investigation into recent attacks and a senior naval commander threatened to sue the police over allegations that a naval officer was behind the Sunday grenade attack.

Police also failed in their earlier push for an emergency decree to be issued to deal with the growing protest movement, with military commanders saying they saw no need for the decree.

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, meanwhile, said yesterday that her government was considering whether to impose the decree, while caretaker Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchai-kul*, who is in charge of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), said the law would be invoked if violence continued.

Army commander in chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha, however, said yesterday that he had telephoned national police chief Pol General Adul Sangsingkaew and asked him to ensure that the "society gets clear facts" about the incidents. He has also said the assailants must face legal action and punishment.

Prayuth, in response to criticism that the military has been passive about dealing with the political conflict, said it had already done a lot. He also said the armed forces were not involved in any conflicts with any groups of people.

Meanwhile, Naval Special Warfare commander Rear Admiral Winai Klom-in yesterday threatened to file a lawsuit against the Royal Thai Police if it can be established that the police caused misunderstanding via social media that one of his subordinates had flung a grenade at Victory Monument.

Winai said he believed the police were aware that the distribution of false information - by comparing a Naval Special Warfare Command officer's picture with that of the suspect online - had affected his command.

"The way the police did it could be seen as an attempt to discredit our agency," Winai said, adding that the officer whose face was linked with that of the bomb suspect was on a mission to fight against drug trafficking.

The police yesterday issued a statement confirming that the Navy officer in question was not the one who lobbed a grenade at the Victory Monument protest site. Pol General Ek Angsananont, deputy national police chief, also denied that police had distributed the naval officer's photograph along with the arrest warrant for the bomb suspect.

Checkpoints, jointly manned by police and soldiers, have been set up as part of increased security after a series of attacks targeting protesters and their leaders.

National police chief Adul Sangsingkaew has ordered the setting up of checkpoints and day patrols, CAPO deputy spokesman Pol Maj-General Anucha Romayanant said.

Anucha said the checkpoints would focus on foiling attempts to smuggle weapons into protest areas, adding that the authorities were also working with protest leaders to boost security measures.

Adul also dismissed reports of a conflict between police and the military officers involved in the anti-government rally, which has continued for over two months.

Since December 26, four people have been killed and more than 260 injured in several attacks by unknown assailants, with grenade attacks on Friday and Sunday.

Metropolitan Police officer Pol Colonel Choosak Techarakpong inspected the Victory Monument protest site - which has been targeted several times - with People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) guards to help set up checkpoints. Choosak said uniformed police officers would be sent to maintain security at the protest site and that four checkpoints would be set up around the venue.

He added that up to 40 police would man each checkpoint and as many as 20 would patrol the rally site during the day.

http://www.nationmul...s-30224789.html

*Takky's nephew!

Thaksin corruption claims stoke Thai protest outrage

Demonstrators trying to rid the country of Thaksin's influence by ousting the government led by his sister Yingluck Shinawatra believe he has broken the kingdom's tacit contract with graft, says political commentator Voranai Vanijaka of the Bangkok Post.

"Thai people are quite pragmatic... we understand that everybody takes a little bite of the apple," he told AFP.

"The problem with Thaksin is that he put a sign on the whole apple tree saying 'property of the Shinawatra family'... that's dangerous to do here."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697947-thaksin-corruption-claims-stoke-thai-protest-outrage/?utm_source=newsletter-20140120-1350&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Archived