Graduating High School Seniors Fail In Seven Of Eight Subjects

waerth

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/28/graduating-high-school-seniors-fail-seven-eight-subjects

The results of the last round of nationwide, standardized tests are in, and they don’t look good.

High school seniors, on average, failed every subject but health ed on the ONET exams, according to results released this morning by the National Institute of Educational Testing Service.

Average scores for 413,000 Mathayom 6 students tested nationwide were under 50 percent, with mathematics and English remaining students’ least favorite subjects with average scores of 20.48 and 25.35, respectively.

Scores for Thai (49.26 percent) and vocational education (49.98 percent) nearly achieved an average passing rate.

The students’ did best in health ed, with a 62.03 percent average score, Morning News reported.

ONET scores for the high school graduates factor heavily into the university admissions process.

Subject

Average Score

Highest Score

Lowest Score

Thai

Social Studies

English

Math

Science

Health

Arts

Career and Technical Ed

Note that the majority of Thai students never go beyond the 9th grade. Doesn't look like it would make much difference from these results. :p

The maths scores are surprising, since Thai students used to do well in this subject. It is one area where rote learning actually succeeds.

Hi,

How the hell can they let people graduate who score that low?

"The maths scores are surprising, since Thai students used to do well in this subject. It is one area where rote learning actually succeeds."

Not sure if I agree on that. I always found that if I didn't 'get' it, no amount of repetition would help.

Sanuk!

A friend who has just retired from teaching in the States tells me that cursive writing has been dropped from the curriculum. Kids nowadays can only print! Somebody finally woke up and decided that wasn't such a good idea and schools are trying to reintroduce cursive writing.

In your line of work, I am not surprised. But I write cursive almost every day.

BTW a great speaker is on the protest stage right now - an educator. He puts the blame for the failures on the Minister of Education. He says (truthfully) that it is a political position that changes frequently and with little regard for the appointees qualifications. He points out how embarrassing it is that students couldn't even score 50% in their own native language! He puts part of the blame on Yingluck for setting a terrible example. She makes mistakes every time she speaks, and she makes more mistakes when she reads Thai. He said students ask him why they should try harder, when the PM speaks Thai poorly. I bet he has just earned a place on PT's sh*t list. ;)

Archived