Crackdown Banning 'walk-In Visa Runs' To Begin August 13

Flashermac

Rob,

I hear what you are saying but come Jan 2015 Malays and Singaporeans will be off the list come ASEAN open borders, same as a Thai can visit any other ASEAN Nation unrestricted.

For Non-Imm O based on "Family Support" one already needs to prove 400,000 THB in the bank for 90 days previous for Non-Imm O Retirement 800,000 THB how can a married guy spend only half of a single man?

My Question is why would a person need to be in Thailand on Back to Back stamps? One either works here, has family here or is retired otherwise deemed as an undesirable, Visa runners give honest farangs a bad name.

You may think that I am an arrogant prick, so what I have been called worse, just my 2 cents worth.

Chonburi Immigration used to raid our office at least 2 times per year, BANG camera in face where is your work permit, the company I worked for used to hold WP in office safe, Oh mr Mekong one moment please and WP produced, smiles and hand shakes and a mai pen rai later life went on.

• Like 1

When the retirement visa was introduced, the money required was 400,000, while for a marriage visa it was 200,000. Also, a condo or stocks and bonds could be used for the required amount. But Lord Thaksin doesn't like poor people unless they can vote for him, and he doubled the amounts. Also, condos etc do not count any more. It has to be cash in the bank. If memory serves me, the 90 day probation report also came in under Lord Thaksin.

He also decided a Farang needs at least 60,000 a month to live here. This surprised all of us, since the foreign lecturer's base pay is still just 28,500 a month. When his lordship realised that, he exempted teachers and journalists from the required monthly income. I would so love to dance on the man's grave. :(

Not sure whether this is true or not but I heard that one of the heads of Thai immigration was denied entry into South Korea so he exacts his revenge by banning Koreans doing visa runs... and then extends it to all other nationalities so he is not seen as 'racist'

That is what triggered this action.

My Question is why would a person need to be in Thailand on Back to Back stamps? One either works here, has family here or is retired otherwise deemed as an undesirable, Visa runners give honest farangs a bad name.

What about folks who aren't working and just want to stay for a few months?

What about folks who aren't working and just want to stay for a few months?

You can get a 2 month tourist visa, exit as you would on a visa run and come back on a 30 day visa exempt entry making 3 months, I guess that's a few months. If you need more I think you could make a case at an embassy and show how you intend to live and why you want to stay that long. I've known people get 1 year multi entry visas just to stay and not really do anything. Guess it's all about how you make the case for why you should be permitted to remain. UK certainly wants to know that stuff if a Thai wants a visa. Strikes me Thailand gives more than it gets.

You can get a 2 month tourist visa, exit as you would on a visa run and come back on a 30 day visa exempt entry making 3 months, I guess that's a few months. If you need more I think you could make a case at an embassy and show how you intend to live and why you want to stay that long. I've known people get 1 year multi entry visas just to stay and not really do anything.

I am exactly in the position that Munch mentions. I don't work, and don't want to retire in Thailand, and I certainly don't want to marry a Thai...had a Thai de facto once, but she ran off with my best friend.."Whoever he is?" (Thanks for the joke,Tommy Cooper).

A double entry 60 day tourist visa would do me fine, if only they'd make the activate by period 6 months from date of issue.