Does An Ipad Full Of Apps Weigh More?

Coss

Heres another one ......some techno/computer guys have recently put forward the idea that immortality is now within reach.All that is needed is a big enough computer so that the entire contents of ones mind/consciousness/memories can be uploaded onto said machine and so live indefinately.Surely this is boll*cks .....or is it ? :grinyes:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry Coss,

Soul and mind is getting close to religion a topic I stay away from, ducks farting in a forest is my level of conversation.

Why don't polar bears use Penguins to wipe their bum, it is all polar, Myself from the northern hemisphere we have the white bear stomping around where as the Penguin is a southern hemisphere based mammal.

Here we go then, do bears shit in the wood's

Ahhh, but.... I am not talking religion, I am talking about how to explain these things from a scientific point of view, remember, we used to think lightning was angry gods, now we know it's electricity. The Mind and Soul, in my view are the same kind of misunderstood thing, we just have to work out, how they work. And so we shall...

Kong, you mean Penguin is a bird, I am sure.

Dexi - what you said, sort of aligns with what I am talking about with the Mind and Soul.

The idea that all a person knows and is - (a bit airy fairy that), is contained in information residing somewhere in the brain, is fairly well accepted. It may not be in there like data in a computer, 1s and 0s, but in there it is. I am not sure how far they have got, finding out what method is used for the storage of information, but once that has been ascertained, we would only need to write a translation algorithm to store said information in a computer.

To then re-introduce that information into a "blank" human should theoretically be possible, assuming you can find a blank human, but that shouldn't be a problem, there's a few living down my street we can start with...

I am still stuck on this idea that something else, other than the physical storage of data, is the key to the concept of Mind or Soul or that which makes us Human,

If you think that, from the moment of conception, till the moment of death, each of us has a magnetic field surrounding us, due to the electrical activity going on inside us, then we start to see that there are things about us we don't yet fully understand. At the moment all we can do with magnetic fields is measure their relative strength and produce vague maps, a la the iron filings experiments, from school day science classes.

What if there was understandable information contained in magnetic fields? We may not know how to access this at the moment, but in 50 years maybe we will, that is if there is anything to find.

But I only use the magnetic field as an example.

It could be that our individual magnetic fields affect the way light is refracted when being reflected from out physical persons. This would account for this of us whose vision is sufficiently different that they claim to see aurae surrounding people.

But it may not be any of these, if could be as vague as radiation emitted or reflected by us, could be anything.

These are things, that are encompassed by that greatest of all American sayings, "We don't know, what we don't know.." At once the typical idiocy of politicians and yet the most profound of intelligent inquiry.

Have at it folks...

OK you have me back on board, Lightning is not the Norse God Thor getting angry and throwing down bolts, God's do not exist so that theory is blown out of the water.

Clouds jet jiggy and when two Nimbus Stratus have a bit of frottage it generates a positive charge the only way to release the energy is via "EARTH" a simple electron flow. Coss I could sit and talk shit for hours, buy me a beer and i would talk more, I fucking love science, it defines life the universe and everything.

What is the meaning of Life? 42 what is 9x5 42, OK in binary it is 54 but in base 13 it is 42, but nobody makes jokes in base 13 nowadays.

Lewis Carroll was a star with 42, people assume he wrote books for children, no way he was a genius, Alices adventures in wonderland contain 42 illustrations, when Alice attempted multiplication (chapter two of Adventures in Wonderland) work if one uses base 18 to write the first answer, and increases the base by threes to 21, 24, etc. (the answers working up to 4 x 12 = "19" in base 39), but "breaks" precisely when one reaches base 42, leading Alice to declare "oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate!" The White Queen announces her age as "one hundred and one, five months and a day", which—if the best possible date is assumed for the action of Through the Looking-Glass—gives a total of 37,044 days. With the further (textually unconfirmed) assumption that both Queens were born on the same day their combined age becomes 74,088 days, which is 42 x 42 x 42.

I can talk shit to the nth degree, Why? Because I can and I like it, so anymore stupid questions?

Albert Enstien was regarded as a genius, so when he died they cut his head open to look at his brain to see if was different to everyone else. Apparently not ..... so what makes a person a genius ?

Albert Enstien was regarded as a genius, so when he died they cut his head open to look at his brain to see if was different to anyone else. Apparently not so what makes a person a genius ?

The physical structure of the Human brain is analogous in computer terms to computer hard disks/memory - they all look the same, roughly, so it's not what they are, but the information that they contain that makes the difference.

No, the brain or the computer was the same, just it's content was different.

i.e. 100 pages of a tabloid newspaper probably does not contain much useful information, whereas 100 pages of a journal such as 'Nature' or 'Lancet' probably contain a wealth of useful information.

or: the brain of a typical guest on the Jerry Springer show, whilst the same size and structure as yours or mine, is likely to be full of absolute crap, dross and bullshit, whereas yours and mine, I can confidently say, are full of knowledge and of a high intellect. Tee hee...