Does An Ipad Full Of Apps Weigh More?

Coss

OK then what about this?

You are riding on a motor bike in the rain at 20 km/h. The rain is falling in constant sized drops and at a steady rate of 1,000 drops per horizontal square metre, per second.

If you increase your speed to say 40km/h, over a set distance, say 10 km, will you get more or less wet?

I would be the same since I wear waterproofs hehe

Your Alledged motorcycle rider would be less wet, nothing to do with rate of rainfall or velocity of said motorcycle distribution of precipitation is easily proved with J Notations (fark feels like I am back at uni 30 odd years ago) but said motorcyclist travelling at twice the speed would be generating more energy latent heat of evaporation is the first rule of thermodynamics

Can you give me a difficult question haha

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about this one ......Imagine a metal spring,something like a coil spring used in car suspension.When the spring is compressed it stores energy.Put that spring into a container filled with acid until the metal has been thinned and now the spring contains less energy.Where has that energy gone ? :grinyes::dunno:

So many variables in your question Dexi but I will attempt to humour you. What is a Spring? it is straight drawn steel round in a helical and able to adsorb compressive stress and return to its original state. Some people think that metal is metal but it is not, the chemical composition of any metal defines its properties either compressive strength tensile strength etc.

What is an acid? acidity / alkalinity is based on the pH scale, deliberate use of the lower case p there, p means the reciprocal of the Power (See the P) of free Hydrogen Ions (and the H) within a solution. Hydrogen is an interesting element, one H and 2 Oxygen gives us water but the way it reacts with Carbon is better Hydrocarbons gave mankind everything, Saturated Hydrocarbons, basically your isomers, Unsaturated Hydrocarbons, Cycloalkanes and Aromatics. a simple double bonded with 8 carbon atoms in the chai is known as Octane better known as gasoline or petrol. The octane rating of gasoline is a basic ratio of how much energy is required to release more energy break the chain utilise the energy from the Hydrogen Atom and have Carbon Emissions.

Sorry I digressed, Organic Chemistry Maths and Physics were the only subjects to hold me interest when I was a wee Mekong at High School and I could go on for hours about this.

Dexi if your spring was in a perfectly sealed jar with acid it would produce hydrogen the energy would be released by breaking the container but that would be a waste. As a man we have gotten wise to this fact and have allowed ourselves to harness this basic concept. Most of us have popped the hood (bonnet) on a car and have seen the battery. What is it, it's just a lead acid cell, within the acid a weak sulphuric at that there are all of these horny Hydrogen atoms (the 1's) being offered legs wide open lead plates (the 0's) . The by product of the neutron / electron exchange is harvested electricity. The only problem with lead acid is it needs power to produce power and has a substantial footprint compared to energy harvested.

I would be the same since I wear waterproofs hehe

Your Alledged motorcycle rider would be less wet, nothing to do with rate of rainfall or velocity of said motorcycle distribution of precipitation is easily proved with J Notations (fark feels like I am back at uni 30 odd years ago) but said motorcyclist travelling at twice the speed would be generating more energy latent heat of evaporation is the first rule of thermodynamics

Can you give me a difficult question haha

Well perhaps I should rephrase the wording, rather than 'getting wet' I should have said - how much rain hits the motorcyclist?

Initial thoughts of mine are that: by travelling twice as fast, there should be half as much rain falling on the motorcyclist from above.

But he/she is also exposing him/herself to twice as many "vertical panes" of rain, per second, albeit for half the time.

So I reckon same rain falling on the motorcyclist from above.

But am I right?

How about this one ......Imagine a metal spring,something like a coil spring used in car suspension.When the spring is compressed it stores energy.Put that spring into a container filled with acid until the metal has been thinned and now the spring contains less energy.Where has that energy gone ? :grinyes::dunno:

Acid dissolving metal is an Endothermic reaction, thereto it produces heat, or energy. Also breaking chemical bonds producing hydrogen and a salt which takes energy as Kong has said.

Is right answer?

Though you could argue that the energy stored by the spring being compressed, has not been addressed.

i.e. an uncompressed spring in an identical jar of acid would produce the same heat and hydrogen etc.

We need Mythbusters to test this.

My gut feeling is that there would be more heat/hydrogen produced by the compressed spring because the bonds holding the metal together would be under stress.

A bit like cutting a rubber band at rest, or when stretched, bigger reaction in the latter...

Acid dissolving metal is an Endothermic reaction, thereto it produces heat, or energy. Also breaking chemical bonds producing hydrogen and a salt which takes energy as Kong has said.

Is right answer?

Actually it is an Exothermic reaction from the Greek prefix Exo which means outwards, Exo Thermic Outwards Heat. Heat or Thermic is a term applied loosely since it applies to any energy form of energy release be it heat, light, electric etc.

An Endothermic Reaction from the Greek prefix Endo which means inwards requires energy from an outside source to make the reaction happen.

Of course Endothermic reactions cost money due to the cost of the Endo Energy so mankind then discovered Catalyst, a catalyst speeds up the reaction but adds nothing to the end product, a sacrificial piece of shit which is cheaper than the Endo energy required to cause the reaction.

This all leads me to one question

Do Duck Quacks Echo?