Monks on the street I typically give something to, even if it's just some of the food I picked up (in the morning). Were I the guy slapped in this video would I have responded physically? No. But I would have had to get out of the room. Would I have wanted to kick him in the nuts... oh yeah.

Did you see the write up in the Bangkok Post about this. Evidently the guy is an English teacher and has released a video telling people he has no ill will towards the monk and wants no trouble. A lot of Thai folks speaking out on his behalf, supposedly he's a pretty nice guy. The story is he gave up his seat for two women and sat adjacent to the monk, who was sleeping. When the monk awoke he tried to explain the change in seats but the guy couldn't understand his broken Thai or English, so he said - that's fine, that's fine. The monk says he reacted violently because he thought the foreigner was calling him a 'fai' buffalo (I thought it was Kwai!?).

Regardless, the monk has supposedly dedicated his life to 'tam boon' (is that right Flash) - doing good things for people. No excuse for violently abusing a stranger when you're not even sure what they're saying. Especially not in the role of public esteem this man has assumed.

Bad hair (or lack of hair) day for the monk :dunno:

I was on a plane and there were 20 monks sitting all around me. I sipped my wine and kept to myself. No problems.

Now we have the jet plane millionaire monk, that we know of and many others that remain unknown, maybe?

Usually about the only time you would hear of a monk acting badly was when he would sneak off and boom-boom

so lady. This really got the Thais upset...

Lots of idiots commenting on the Bangkok Post about how they would have punched out the monk. That would have been fascinating to see, especially the part where most of the Thai men in that carriage piled on the Farang and beat him half to death. Are some expats really so totally ignorant about the country they live in?

p.s. The billionaire monk is still living it up abroad, as far as I know. Also there seems to be some question of whether he had actually ever been ordained in the firs place. The temple where he claimed he'd been ordained years ago says it has no record of the guy being there.

• Like 1

" Lots of idiots commenting on the Bangkok Post about how they would have punched out the monk. That would have been fascinating to see, especially the part where most of the Thai men in that carriage piled on the Farang and beat him half to death. Are some expats really so totally ignorant about the country they live in ? "

It would seem that way ...

Regardless, the monk has supposedly dedicated his life to 'tam boon' (is that right Flash) - doing good things for people. No excuse for violently abusing a stranger when you're not even sure what they're saying. Especially not in the role of public esteem this man has assumed.

Not so fast, this isn't the Dalai Lama or other mahayana or vajrayana buddist, this is run-of-the-mill Thai monk... Thai monks are not dedicated to making merit, they're dedicated to proceeding on the path towards nirvana, which is a good thing to do in general terms for the world, but there is very little in Thai Buddhism as broadly practiced that motivates monks to do good things for other people... The biggest "tham boon" that they do is RECEIVE food and gifts, and thereby provide an opportunity for lay people to earn merit - but hey, I'm glad to provide an opportunity for other people to do good by giving me gifts, and I wouldn't consider that particularly compassionate or generous on my part...

Now, if he was a Zen monk or from some of the Tibetan traditions, this monk would have no problem explaining that the slap was not in anger or to harm the poorly-dressed farang, it was a technique for helping the farang gain better awareness and understanding, and help him proceed towards enlightenment...

Have been working out the details of a new Buddha sect I'm going to start up for those who aren't quite ready to leave the base level of the earth and be elevated to the state of Nirvana. There's still much work to be done down on earth after all. To maintain that non-elevation we'd carry out a ritual of mild tam-bap, collecting whisky and cigarettes for alms, and we'd even accept donations of that most illicit contraband --> academic texts critical of the government.

Then during the day we'd go carousing with women, catching 1st class flights, and slapping all those we deemed stupid. I call it the guan-deen path. :)

:devil: :devil: