The 'no-touching-women' rule is not a universal one within Buddhism - one could be very knowledgeable about Buddhism in other contexts, and not realize that Thailand has this as a major issue. The prohibition is particularly strong in Thailand, but that doesn't mean a tourist should know about it - like expecting visitors to India or parts of the Muslim world to know the sectarian divisions there and how the rules are different for certain Hindus than others, etc. (Though I still am creeped out by Pink Shirt guy, even if Phitsanulok is a somehow okay destination compared to Cambo, and agree that he needed that slap in a generally sense. Unless he's French, in which case the outfit is fairly reasonable, and I would forgive him for accidentally dressing like a pederast. If he's not French, there is no excuse.)

In the hierarchy of crimes before Buddha, a monk striking a layperson out of anger has got to rank pretty high up there! The Venerable Farang-Striker has not been paying attention to the teachings... but at least now we all know the answer to the ageless Zen Koan: What is the Sound Of One Hand Clapping?

YimSiam

" In the hierarchy of crimes before Buddha, a monk striking a layperson out of anger has got to rank pretty high up there "

Agreed, whatever the circumstances were, the monk was wrong to loose his temper and slap him ... This is really usual i'm wondering now what exactly was said between them to cause such a reaction. There is more to this than just a disagreement about the seating arrangements.

Again whatever, the monk was wrong, but he have emotions like everyone else, but on this occation unable to keep in check.

Hi,

"Again whatever, the monk was wrong, but he have emotions like everyone else, but on this occation unable to keep in check."

A bit surprised to read that as you were insulting the farang quite a bit in your original post.

Like Dexi said, good & bad in all walks of life.

Sanuk!

"Again whatever, the monk was wrong, but he have emotions like everyone else, but on this occation unable to keep in check."

" A bit surprised to read that as you were insulting the farang quite a bit in your original post."

Perhaps because I have come across many farangs who are insulting towards, Thai culture, Thai women, etc and knock and discredit everything Thailand. I thought just another the same, thank you for pointing out that I have also sunk to this level and become cynical. I will just ignore in future when this happens, thank you again.

As I said before the monk was wrong to react

Monks are just people at the end of the day,theres the good,the bad and the ugly.If this was such an important issue why no signs on the train or better still a seating area/carriage just for monks.

Buses do have signs indicating seats for monks. Don't ever recall seeing any on trains though.

Designated seating reserved while waiting in airport for a monk, would you sit there if no other seating available and if you did what would you do if a monk came along to sit there ?