Nick Nostitz -- A Farewell Retrospective

Flashermac

Nick is definitely argumentative. He was my neighbour for 5 years or more. We used to sit in front of his apartment with another friend, drinking coffee and arguing for hours on end. At the end of it, we'd all smile and go back into our homes.

You need to drink beer to settle arguments. :beer:

Why? He's a friend of mine, can't see why you'd want to do that? Serious question.

Firstly, I recognise and support his right to his own views and the voicing of them.

But,

A long time ago, on this board, in numerous posts, he accused me of involvement in the underaged, enforced and trafficked, sex industry, because of my trip reports that talked about adult P4P in Cambodia. No-one, according to him, could pay an adult woman for sex in Cambodia, without actually being up to the eyeballs in underaged, enforced and trafficked children for sex.

Of course I differed, I've yet to receive any apology. I think he was asked to leave the board for this and other matters.

I once likened him to someone who could get arrested, by simply walking down the road and encountering a policeman, so provocative and offensive he could be.

Whilst we're on the subject of his failings, I wonder who wrote the glowing Exhibition Notice at the link. I'd like a spin doctor like that. I'll give him that he's a good photographer, but he certainly is no hero.

Nick is definitely argumentative. He was my neighbour for 5 years or more. We used to sit in front of his apartment with another friend, drinking coffee and arguing for hours on end. At the end of it, we'd all smile and go back into our homes.

I like Nick a lot. I haven't seen much of him in recent years although we did catch up a couple of months back.

In many ways we shouldn't get on because we're ideologically poles apart, are both head-strong and not shy to say what we think even when we know it won't win us any friends - and might even have the complete opposite effect.

What I particularly like about Nick is that you can have a good, deep debate on issues in this part of the world and walk away as pals, just as you say, Flasher.

• Like 1

A long time ago, on this board, in numerous posts, he accused me of involvement in the underaged, enforced and trafficked, sex industry, because of my trip reports that talked about adult P4P in Cambodia. No-one, according to him, could pay an adult woman for sex in Cambodia, without actually being up to the eyeballs in underaged, enforced and trafficked children for sex.

Of course I differed, I've yet to receive any apology. I think he was asked to leave the board for this and other matters.

I remember that well, it was embarrassing to say the least (the whole "Cambodia Issue"). Start a thread on Cambo and invariably it ended in tears.

Said that, I guess he would have been an interesting guy

I went to the" opening" speak and it was well attended with mostly older Farangs.

My interest was more artistic than political but the two are heavily and inseparably linked in is work,

I thought the presentation was oddly curated yet it had some very strong images

mostly relying on the drama and pathos of dissent,despair and hints of joy.

I felt the war type of photos the most successful There were several collage type of photos

that had combined images presented together in one format, These failed compositionally and

formally and he should probably

re-consider this approach. I think he is successful at what he appears to be a photo journalist but photography as fine art

at a different level um not so much.Comparisons to Weegee r farfetched

He sat up front and took questions and there was a fair amount of bowing and scraping from the questioners which

was odd. I met him through a local author years ago (90;s)and he was sincere,intelligent with an underlying patina of that German national vice ...arrogance. :stirthepo

His current situation is unstable so best of luck to him.

• Like 1

When he did his black and white "behind the scenes" nightlife book, Trink slammed it, saying it couldn't compare to Dean Barrett's Beautiful Women of Thailand". :shakehead

Nick was pissed off, but I told him how Trink had slammed a nightlife book I did the Bangkok section for, since I hadn't listed his favourite noodle shop in the dining section and left out a hotel which hadn't been built when I wrote it. :beer:

When he did his black and white "behind the scenes" nightlife book, Trink slammed it, saying it couldn't compare to Dean Barrett's Beautiful Women of Thailand". :shakehead

Nick was pissed off, but I told him how Trink had slammed a nightlife book I did the Bangkok section for, since I hadn't listed his favourite noodle shop in the dining section and left out a hotel which hadn't been built when I wrote it. :beer:

Nick's "Patpong Bangkok's Twilight Zone" is a brilliant work, just totally utterly brilliant.

I never saw Dean's original book but picked up the version he published 10+ years ago.

You really can't compare the two books as they are totally different. Nick's is a very dark and honest look at the nightlife and what happens to those who fall in to it while Dean's is a celebration of Thai women.