Restaurant Observations , Assorted

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

I do hereby officially recommend restaurant zanzibar Soi 11 although to my horror a band started playing just after we had taken seats . But other than expected they played romantic songs which supported my general layout of the evening to no small degree . I could even smoke my evening cigar ( tobacco ) in peace and did not even start trembling when madame finally asked if I did realise she is a ladyboy so to speak . I explained that due to my central European liberal education based on East Prussian discipline any sort of sexual discrimination has been banned from myself decades ago and in general I keep trying to discover new horizons virtually all the time . I should mention at this point that madame did not originate from any of these stupid ladyboy bars but from the cosmetics department in a Sukhumvit department store . Holding a paper with her mobile number I am uncertain what to do next , a gorgeous beauty . Any recommendation ?

Awaiting your news I recommend in purely general terms Naree Massage at the end of Soi 4 , left .

I didn't benefit from Central European liberal education - it sounds almost strange to say I was educated by the Western Australian government - well it's almost strange to ask if they were liberal or not. I mind there was a great push to promote and indulge aboriginal culture, I mind of this centennial book - complete with silver trimming, quite a treasure really, and a gift to all West Australian children. I know it's just a token, but I still get a bit emotional about that. It's a crazy world isn't it?

I suppose it goes a long, long way back. My ancestors come from Scandanavia - it seems hard to imagine discrimination goes on there, but I suppose they waged their wars, like most Europeans, with a fucking vengeance. Hell, at times I feel that warrior spirit like a fume aspirating my blood however much I try to tame myself. The warpath is almost like a genetic sense. Perhaps the Teutons are the same?

Even now, although it's disappearing - you can experience a culture shock in Asia. Everyone experiences it differently, but my impressions were they were a terribly naive lot. Pagans even. I didn't understand them so as time immemorial - or whatever the phrase is, I disparaged them.

The girls threw themselves at me. Oh how they loved my blue eyes, my blonde hair. I wondered why I couldn't seem to make any friends apart from the ladies. It was probably the language gap - well, luckily I can learn, I'm very quick on the uptake, so to speak. But that just didn't help. I was fucking confounded by every attempt at friendship.

I still feel a venomous contempt about that whole episode. It wasn't the rudeness, but the indigent belief that I was outside - a foreigner, beyond the pale, so to speak. Wasn't this exactly like the message I was being taught by my teachers back in school. Sure the coons are different, look at your magical book! My god I remembered just how racist my own upbringing had been. Was that memory real? The centennial book wasn't propaganda was it? I mind I cherished that fucking book.

I mean, I don't love the coons so to speak, but at least it gave me a different outlook, and raised the hope that one day they would be redeemed - Rudd's speech on the stolen generation, well that was Australia growing up I suppose, I mean we've got a long, long way to go, but we are a nation proud of our heritage.

but anyhow, what a long preamble!

I remember soi 11 as a vast warren of business. That bar that purports to be the cheapest in Bangkok rings a bell. I had had some Sangria and fried octopus at a kind of hole in the wall behind that cheap charlie bar. Not bad. The waitresses could use a personality reboot, but the food was... acceptable.

I mean, I'm not a hard man to please, I indulge in a few simple pleasures. But I do expect them to be delivered well.

I've never had a drink at Cheap Charlie's. Every time I've been by there, I've been on my way to or from Charley Brown's. "Best Tex-Mex in Bangkok!", they claimed years ago. Best Tex-mex on the planet, I sez.

And their margaritas are LETHAL. They should come with a black box warning label. I did two in fairly quick succession one bad night. I WON'T do that again soon. Now I space them out carefully, with dinner, and enjoy.

I found some academic literature on Gaza, and Pale stein. They had a legitimate grievance. They'd had their whole country stolen from them for fuck sakes. They were in fact the victims, not the perpetrators. I was also a victim of propoganda in a way.I became a regular, talking to the owner several times.

You are still a victim of someone's propaganda. "Palestinians" are a political fiction. There is no such thing as a Palestinian language, a Palestinian cuisine, a Palestinian culture, or even Palestinian history, prior to maybe the early 1900's.

Here's probably the best map of the area in existence, from the 1700's: http://www.loc.gov/resource/g7500.ct000387/

What you see are "national" or political areas, from left to right: Galilee (yellow border), Sumara (red border), Judea (brown border) , and then something called Idumaea Su (or something like that - red border). The geographical region is called Palestine - but that is not a political entity - any more that "the Outback" or "the Appalachians" or "the Amazon basin" are political entities.

Around 1820, freed American slaves, assisted by something called the American Colonization Society, carved out a chunk of West Africa and called it Liberia - which grew into the nation of Liberia. Someone (some tribe?) must have occupied that land prior to 1820 - but no one agitates against Liberia.

So - after World War II, surviving European Jews flee to Judea, and set up a nation. There were already Jews in JUDEA - who spoke Hebrew, and also some Arabs, who spoke Arabic. Question: where did the Hebrew and the Arabic languages originate? ARABIC originated on the Arabian peninsula - and that's where Arabic speaking people's ancestors came from. Hebrew originated from Canaan - which is basically the culture which existed in the geographical region called Palestine. The Hebrew language flourished first in the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah, in the Levant, from the 9th to the 6th centuries BC, before being consumed by the Persian conquest of Cyrus the Great in the 6th Century BC.

There was no Arab who called himself a Palestinian until about the 1960's. It is all a political fiction.

All genuine long-lived political cultures can trace back to some King or ruler from before 1900. Please try to find me the name of a Palestinian king, pope, ruler, general, or anything else from before 1960. There is none - because Palestine didn't exist.

The first four Kings of the Israeli Kingdom were Saul, and then David, then Solomon, and then Rehoboam. You may have heard of a couple of these - they ruled from 1050 to 930 BC.

Or prove me wrong - teach me.

Cheers!

MS

• Like 2

Americans, Canucks, Aussie, Kiwis etc have little business talking about "stealing" someone's country from them. For that matter, are the Anglo-Saxons the aboriginals of Britain? What about Northern Ireland? The Caribbean islands? Maybe stealing countries is only wrong if it didn't happen before 1900.

:stirthepo