I need advice from sports fans please!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wooooooooooo-Hoooooooooo , what a two days it has been , I live in LA and the Lakers did it last night , but I was born and raised in Detroit , played 10 years of youth hockey there , and it will always be my home.....wait a second , I didnt start this thread , Hey HM , well...... how much ??????

BadaBing smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

"One 100% cert is that next time I go to Bangkok I'll have had 25 bottles of Carlsberg by midnight, will find it impossible to walk in a straight line and won't know the name of the bird who's in bed with me in the morning.

Not sure of the sort of odds you'll get though."

Mr. Hunt, that's fantasic, thus worth repeating. Best laugh I've had for ages. You are a gentleman, sir, and a man after my own heart.

j laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

BadaBing, I didn't know you're from Detroit. Are you the guy Steve Perry @ Journey is referring to in 'Don't Stop Believin'? "...just a city boy. Born and raised in south Detroit. He took a midnight train going anywhere..." (lol). Had friends who went to Southwestern, Kettering, Northwestern and one to Day. Apologies for the temporary hijack.

Anyway, very happy for Scotty Bowman. One of my favorite coaches as he coached my favorite team, Montreal, for a few years. One of the all time best coaches for any sport. How many different teams has he taken to the cup now?

Congrats Hansum_Man, I think game 4 of the cup sealed it for Detroit. It took the will from Carolina after it was 3-1 at that point. Lakers were never in question. Hope you made your money.

Some other 'sure' things may be baseball. Take the money line on games where an ace starting pitcher is home against a weak team. Such as Randy Johnson @ Arizona, Schilling @ Arizona, Roger Clemens @ Yankees or Pedro Martinez @ Boston Redsox. If either of these guys are pitching, ask this board or see if the team they are against are a last place or near bottom of their division. Usually the odds to win are about $200 + ($225 up $250 usually) to get $100. Better odds than the Lakers 8 to 1. Those pitchers will win at least 75% of all their games and rarely lose at home. Schilling especially is having a great year.

Good luck.(chok dee)

I think Scotty got 4 with Montreal , 2 with Pittsburgh and 3 with the Wings , total 9 passes Toe Blake who was on top with 8.

Scotty got 9 cups as head coach, i.e. 5 with the Canadiens, 1 with the Penguins and 3 with the Red Wings. In addition he got 1 as manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Total 10 cups vs. 8 cups for Toe Blake.

"The Red Wings just won their 10th Stanley Cup. What a team. Btw how much did you win on that bet? "

i just found out that the lakers also won

- i'm still waiting for Michael Schumacher to win the formula 1 title again which he looks certain to do barring any major accident - when that happens i'll be approx £2700 in profit overall (too complicated to work out exact figures because the various permutations i bet on are confusing])- if he loses i'll be approx £3000 down overall

i wish i had an accumulator on the world cup group winners - apparently the odds worked out at 54,000/1 if all 8 group winners had been correctly guessed!

shit - just lost £100 by betting in-running on a 0-0 Germany/Paraguay draw at the 86th minute - soon as i placed the bet Germany scored in the 87th minute!!!

"Those pitchers will win at least 75% of all their games and rarely lose at home. Schilling especially is having a great year. "

i don't know anything about baseball (boring - watched a home game when i was in chicago a few months ago) but i don't get why a pitcher should perform any better when playing at home?

are you suggesting betting on the home team to win when those pitchers are playing at home or are you suggesting betting on the pitcher to bowl people out??

when are those pitchers you mention going to play at home - anytime soon??

i doubt i'll be able to bet on those guys though as i tend to use british betting websites which don't offer baseball odds (don't really want to get into having to perform currency exchanges to bet in US sites - but might consider it if these pitchers are really sure things though)

I see you used a cricket term 'bowl' people out, a pitcher strikes someone out.

I'll keep my eye open from time to time and PM you if I see something interesting. I used to bet baseball a lot a few years ago. I'll only suggest games where I have $ at risk also.

You pick the team the pitcher is on to win. Each team has varying degrees of quality of pitchers. The best one is usually tough to beat. Just like in football (soccer), a team is always more comfortable playing on their home pitch. With thousands of fans for support, psychologically it gives the home team an edge. For instance, Newcastle would have a much easier time beating Arsenal at home where they can be incited by the incessant singing of 'Blaydon Races' than they would at Highbury, right? (bad example, the Arse will win anyway--smile). Its true for any sport.

As a general rule though its better not to bet on something you don't understand.

Archived