I Got An Itch For Some Literary Schlock I'm Inclined To Scratch. Any Recommendations?

JaiRai

kind overdosed on reading dawkins, feynman, hawking (along with different analyses of said authors) over the last several months and i find myself craving some fucking pure unadulterated pulp. just b-movie type silliness but enjoyable. preferably set in thailand.

aware of john burdett, christopher moore, dean barrett, etc. but never read them --> i'm just going to pick a single book and read it -- and don't want to dick around with something that takes itself too serious.

sex, violence, intrigue, backstabbing, corny dialog and cheesy stereotypical characters will be perfect. suggestion anyone?

This would make a good movie in the Chevy Chase variety. :)

<< Kicking Dogs is a comic thriller. It's also an antic portrait of boom-time Bangkok. Bangkok is being transfigured by unrestrained development and corrupted by rampant greed. Meanwhile Jack Shackaway, American freelance journalist and author of such literary masterpieces as A Dick for Dorothy, is succumbing to a bad case of culture shock-no matter he himself believes he's adjusting nicely to the Thai Way, learning among other things how to maintain his cool under all circumstances. But every time he turns around, someone is either telling him he's a babe in the woods, extracting money from him, or shooting at him.

Jack has no idea who is trying to kill him. But, given his talent for annoying the wrong people, it could be just about anybody. Not only that, if he isn't careful he's going to wind up married to Mu, which might be better than being dead, but not necessarily a lot better. "Easily labelled a comic thriller, and taking Bangkok's underworld for its setting, Kicking Dogs is something deeper, wider-ranging ... and, ultimately, transcending physical place in its theme of coming to terms with cultural alienation."

- John Hoskin, Outlook

"The market being sated with farang-written books about Thai prostitutes, it was a pleasant surprise to read Collin Piprell's Kicking Dogs."

- Bernard Trink, Bangkok Post >>

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/1452802726

Burdett's Bangkok 8, would be my first suggestion.

Ahhhh. aaaargh. aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh. ... after doing a little research... alright. Something I swore I would never do - bought one of the Burdett books. fuck me, this is the decline. :)

===

Order Received - March 14, 2015 12:42 PM

51dE1ShxEML._SY90_.jpg

Bangkok 8: A Royal Thai Detective Novel (1)

Burdett, John

Condition: Used - Very Good - A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly.

====

This would make a good movie in the Chevy Chase variety. :)

<< Kicking Dogs is a comic thriller. It's also an antic portrait of boom-time Bangkok. Bangkok is being transfigured by unrestrained development and corrupted by rampant greed.

Interesting that the book was initially published in '91. This is back up in case I simply can't bear reading Burdett. :)

====

Items Ordered March 14, 2015 12:42 PM Kicking Dogs [Kindle Edition]

By: Collin Piprell

====

Why just read about it > come and spend a few weeks in Pattaya and experience it first hand !

Dear sir, why do you think I come here? 555. Have couple friends to connect with but have a sneaking suspicion that I'd be politely making up a reason to excuse myself if I ever was around many of these folks in person (and the opposite is likely true). It's good to see how people think outside of one's own circle or environment.

btw - I like reading your input on the language and culture peculiarities.

You might have a look here:

http://t2.thai360.co...t book__st__20

Sorry about that mate, just was seeking some loose and fast input before I made a purchase. If I have any feedback after reading will put it over there.

Elmore Leanard. Get Shorty is the book you want. Then you can watch the movie with John Travolta, Ving Rames. Man it is the best - cheesy, tasty, and the perfect beach book.

Since I'm lazy I went ahead and watched "get shorty" while I was stuck in a hotel the past few days for work. Never watched it before as... I don't know - didn't think I would be interested. Must admit I was pleasantly surprised, steady stream of chuckles and clever twists.

Also would highly recommend the gonzo thriller Hunter Thompson wrote about the Hell's Angels. A very thoughtful, and insightful piece.

First time I read it was for a journalism course at Indiana University. Thompson's trajectory from romanticizing the Angels initially to seeing them as pathetic and brutal had an impact on me -- in a good way. It's nothing like Fear and Loathing (which I thought was overrated), Hells Angels A Strange & Terrible Saga is my favorite Thompson book by far.

Thanks for the input all.