Thai Pm Asks King's Permission To Lift Martial Law

cavanami

Thai PM asks king's permission to lift martial law

http://news.yahoo.com/thai-pm-asks-kings-permission-lift-martial-law-071217247--business.html

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Tuesday he has asked for King Bhumibol Adulyadej's permission to lift martial law which has been in place nationwide since before a May coup.

The law, among other things, bans all political gatherings and gives the military sweeping powers of arrest and detention.

"I have asked for the king's permission to lift martial law. The power is now with His Majesty," Prayuth told reporters, adding that he would replace martial law with Article 44 in the interim constitution.

Tour operators had urged the junta to lift martial law, particularly in areas that attract many tourists, in order to boost the sector after months of protests in 2014 took a toll on international visitors to Thailand.

"This is something very unique and worrying and it is not going to improve the rights situation and ongoing repression."

Rubbish ..... Anyone with any sence would realiize article 44 is included only as a safeguard to restore basic law and order should it ever become necessary to stop people killing each other .... If this regarded as sepression then so be it.

The problem is there are no checks and balances. Whilst what you said is indeed a very good thing, as it also is in the case of getting the DCA mess sorted out. The problem is that you need to be thinking about times when it might not be so good. As an (hopefully) exaggerated but nonetheless potential situation what happens when the boss decides to close all media? I agree that's not exactly likely but there is nothing to prevent it. It gives the guy at the top absolute total and complete control over everything and everyone. When it's good it's good but when it's bad it's very very very very very bad.

It's so easy to poo-poo it is a just a safeguard should it ever be necessary. Nice soothing words, but the risk is potentially very worrying. People soon forget but it's from not such dissimilar sorts of beginnings that the mess that was early 20th century Europe came from.

The niceties of checks and balances were there before, but that didn't stop many people being killed and injured, only intervention by the military did that. Prayut a life solider, what anyone thinks of him, did his duty and stood up to the line to be counted in our countries time of need.

How quickly people forget the very reason the killings and bombings stopped is because of men like Prayut. Easy for others to condemn what he has done, from the safety enjoyed by his intervention. He is in a difficult position, but maintains to do his duty in the national security of the country.

If he falters, and fails he would be condemned by the lesser of this world. If he is strong and puts the national interest first he is condemned as repressive. Personally I have considerable faith in such a man a giant amongst pygmies.

Article 44, is sensible, in this countries political turmoil, sure everyone likes the niceties of check and balances, but this is the reality, and not always possible. Other countries have check and balances in place too, but in national security they are ignored.

I remember the shootings etc after the Gang of Three fled following the October 1973 student protests. There was even an incident of rival candidates having a gunfight, with one of them being killed. I think it was the Bangkok Post that described Thai democracy as "one man, one gun". :p

The niceties of checks and balances were there before, but that didn't stop many people being killed and injured, only intervention by the military did that. Prayut a life solider, what anyone thinks of him, did his duty and stood up to the line to be counted in our countries time of need.

How quickly people forget the very reason the killings and bombings stopped is because of men like Prayut. Easy for others to condemn what he has done, from the safety enjoyed by his intervention. He is in a difficult position, but maintains to do his duty in the national security of the country.

If he falters, and fails he would be condemned by the lesser of this world. If he is strong and puts the national interest first he is condemned as repressive. Personally I have considerable faith in such a man a giant amongst pygmies.

Article 44, is sensible, in this countries political turmoil, sure everyone likes the niceties of check and balances, but this is the reality, and not always possible. Other countries have check and balances in place too, but in national security they are ignored.

Dear Santa's Maid,

in the spirit of bonhomie, I resile from my usual intention of attempting a humorous or cynical approach to posting on this board, to address your post above.

What you are saying, is that this Prayut, should be accorded absolute power, and that you believe him to be a benevolent leader.

Most, including myself believe that, if a benevolent absolute leader/monarch/dictator could exist, that this would be a good thing.

But world history teaches us, and Siam/Thailand is not exempt from world history, no matter how much Thainess exists, that if you give someone unfettered power, denuded from the 'niceties of checks and balances' as you put it, bad things will happen.

Let me repeat this - bad things will happen.

You might have a case to argue, if you could demonstrate that Prayut was a latter day saint, a Jesus, a Buddha, or some such, but the world has grown up, the vast masses have education, and deities in human form, are just not believed anymore.

It may be that Prayut has good intentions, but if I (were I the voting public in Thailand) had any say, I'd want him on a leash, not necessarily a short one, but after the debacle that is the Thaksin Family's performance, a leash never the less.

Normal cynical programming will resume after the break

Dear Coss

I could easily be drawn into a debate on Thailands political instability, please excuse if I decline. Suffice to say Prayut will return the power to an elected civilian government. I have no reason to believe differently, then casting my vote in what I believe is right.

As far as article 44, I see it differently only as a safeguard, rather than a road to absolute power and corruption.

ps .. Santa's maid was something left over from last Christmas, and hadn't got round to changing. I've now changed to

à¹à¸­à¸‡à¹€à¸ˆà¸¥à¸‚องบางà¸à¸­à¸ following board procedures translates to Angel of Bangkok

I was about to chime in when I realized it's April 1, so it has to be a fools joke from Santa's Maid, as no one could be that naive.

Very good, you tricked me

But there are reports from all sorts of international new organs see link