Disillusionment

To address your original post

Just my own personal observation, I notice some board members not all of course, appear disillusioned with Thailand as it is today.

Some appear to me, to miss and come to terms, that the cheap boys own sort of Thailand warrior lifestyle, of 20 years ago has changed. Still exsisting, but now costing a lot more for " fun and enjoyment ", and calls of " hansum man " less loud.

I was wondering if this is the real underlying reason, for this apparent disillusionment with Thailand.

You have something there, in 20 years the Thai Sanuk scene has hardened and become much more like that in the west, it's "business" now, used to be "fun"

Also, it's not just us male board members, my ex Thai wife of 20 years and others that I know, now resident in NZ are completely disillusioned with LOS and have no plans to return.

Perhaps, ..... the Australian aborigines never understood how to embrace others either, only difference they were the ones that were alienated.

Maybe next time (if there is one) you feel compelled to make a comment about something you clearly know absolutely nothing about, you might want to google it first.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

" The Australian aborigines never understood how to embrace others either, only difference they were the ones that were alienated. "

Contary to the option of some of the more obtuse board members. I am fully conversant with the discovery of Australia, by James Cook, then later the colonization by the then British Empire in the 18th centuary. I won't bore members further with what is history and general knowledge, even to to an uneducated Thai like myself.

The point I was trying to make was the aborigines were forced to submit to Eurpean rule, being displaced from what had been their land for thousands of years, and stolen from them. I used a touch of sarcasm in my answer.

" aborigines never understood how to embrace others either "

I don't think anyone can deny they were alienated in Australian society, hence

" only difference they were the ones that were alienated "

In answer to Bust's post .......

" In my opinion Thailand has never understood how to embrace others. It would rather alienate them"

Thailand enjoys that it has never been colonized, which has given it choices that peoples of some countries have not.

I believe that we have fully understood how to ebrace others, but perhaps not quite in the way that many farangs might want.

An example of this is farangs are not allowed to own land. Why ? Simply if this was not the case foreigner business, rich investors, and individuals would have bought up half of Thailand displacing Thai's from land held for centuries. Even Increasing land prices higher than the average Thai could pay. I think this is sensible and in the interest of the country.

" It would rather alienate them"

If you mean containment, subject to normal requirements of visa control and reporting this may well be the case, for someone who in fact remains an alien and not a Thai national.

Japan did not colonize Thailand? :dunno:

Yes you are right ........but would prefer the terms occupied or " directly colonized during wartime ", rather than colonized as such. :)

But I accept you might well know more on this part of history than I do ...

Pibun Songkram quickly agreed to allow Japan after it invaded free passage through the country, since there was no way to stop them. After Singapore fell, he decided to become an ally of Japan. In response those who did not agree formed the Seri Thai underground to resist. Thus Thailand wasn't colonised, and more of less had a foot on both sides in the war.